Good breed for a friend's pond?

blasto

Songster
11 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Richmond
One of my coworkers has a large pond/small lake on her property, complete with what she thinks is an old duck house on a small island in the middle of it. She asked if I could hatch out a few ducks for her. Neither of us knows anything about ducks, so here I am for some info. She wants birds that are pretty self-sufficient, though she walks along the pond every evening and would like to feed them and visit, etc. Any suggestions?

I think almost any breed could work well because you have the duckhouse to keep the predators away. I would go with whatever breed she likes the best. I think no matter what breed you choose there will always be some chance that a predator snags one every once in a while but as long as they actually use the duck house at night I think your chance of success are pretty good. Of domestic breeds I personally like Welsh Harlequins the best.

I am way into wild ducks so if I was you co-worker I would try to put up a few nest boxes and hope some wild wood ducks or even hooded mergansers came as well.

Last edited:
Maybe call ducks as they are smaller so could fly from predators but they could fly away if they got to bored?!? Just watch out from those predators, maybe geese so they have more of a chance... will she be locking them up at night??
big_smile.png

I would second something that can fly. It will keep them safer from predators. Muscovies would be a very good breed. They will hatch out more on their own.

Back
Top Bottom