Good brown-egg layers (BEST large brown egg layers)

I haven't read all the posts & my pullets just started laying last month - but so far the Black Stars (sexlinks) are the best producers. An egg a day like clockwork.

They are not quite 6mo old and last night I got a HUGE egg - it will be breakfast this morning & I'm betting it's a double-yolk.

Barred rocks!!! I've got BO and BR and if I had to do it over again I would have only BR. An egg a day almost and no fuss. They are the cutest little eggs laying chatterboxes. They are the first ones to sing good morning when I let them out of the coop.

See how smart they are. They know that yogurt was past it's date.
lol.png

8175_dscf2527_edited.jpg

You may also want to consider feed conversion rates (eggs per lb of food eaten) if you're looking at production. All the rocks I've seen were very large birds. I'm guessing they ate a lot. I hear that sexlinks and ISA browns are very efficient eaters. I haven't kept any of them, so it's something you may want to research.

Large bird does not always equal to eating alot. My BBS Orps are HUGE and they are not big eaters at all. My Speckled Sussex is a little round thing with short legs and she is a voracious eater! Her eggs are small and almost white and she is two years old now.

The BRs are good foragers. They do not eat an unreasonable amt of food. I still believe that you cannot beat a Barred Rock in any department, except maybe as a broody since the breed doesn't have that tendency, generally. My Buff Orps are good foragers as well, but two out of three have been broody.

Back
Top Bottom