Good brown-egg layers (BEST large brown egg layers)

I'm new here, but have raised egg chickens for years.
All sex-links(brown,red&black) are very good as is Prod. Reds, New Hampshires, Barred Rocks.
My PR's andGS link lay an egg a day with very little skips. Can't beat e'm. Not even with a big stick. Good luck choosing .

Quote:
This is why I suggested it be researched. Anecdotal experiences aren't alway indicative of what the averages are. I'm not aware of commercial egg operations that use rocks, but I do know of a lot that use sexlinks and ISA browns. Commercial egg producers are primarily concerned with the amount of egg produced per lb of food and I would be more likely to follow their lead if production is my main concern which seems to the case here.

wow! thanks for all the replies! lots of info!
big_smile.png
Yea so rite now we're stuck between the Barred Rock and Sex-links....gah! so indecisive..... >.<

go with both! If they are reared together they will be fine together. If you want chicks in the future I would have a broody breed like orps. inc. I have some of each and love them all. Gloria Jean

I love my Welsumers, for DARK brown and brown speckled eggs, great foragers and thrifty, curious and fun. Not quite as productive as most of the other breeds, but I get about 18 eggs a week from 4 hens (I think one of mine is not laying yet and she is just 6 mos old, but has a hormone imbalance). And I think the hens are gorgeous.
love.gif

Black Stars, or sex-links, lay the biggest, darkest brown, thickest shelled eggs in my whole flock. They layed sooner and more consistently than all my other breeds. We placed in an egg judging contest with a dozen of their eggs and made $65 on the resulting sale of them.

My 2 naked neck hens are the best layers that I own. They have the unique looks, good personality, and the good laying ability
smile.png

Last edited:
The real truth? I had to find out for my self. The brown eggs are really pretty and do not taste different than the white eggs.
I PROMISE that my Ideal 236 Leghorns lay at LEAST 5 to 1 eggs to ANY brown egg layer that I ever had.
ep.gif

So I hatch the broWN egg layers to SELL and keep a few as they are real pretty. BUT if you want EGGS............... Look in my fridge.. I have one shelf of 55/60 white eggs and about 10/12 tan (from red sex link that is 1/2 leghorn anyway) and a few brown eggs from Barred Rock, Astralorp.... If you want a brown egg layer get a black or red sex link...
pop.gif

If you want EGGS Get the Ideal 236!!!
wee.gif

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom