Good deal for these breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kidsnchicks, Aug 15, 2010.

1. kidsnchicks

kidsnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Saw an add on CL, chickens for sale I read the list and saw I few I would like, are these good prices? There are day old to 4 week old Aracaunas and Silver Laced Wyndottes, $1 each and Red Blue Laced Wydottes $8 each, I think they are laying or about to be. There are many other breeds available but these are the ones I am interested in. Thank you

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Yep, those are good prices! I'd buy some!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Amazingly great prices!

Chicks here are $2.50 at the cheapest and POL pullets run from $15 to $20.

4. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    $1 is a good price for 0-4 week old chicks. It's certainly less than you'd pay at a hatchery or feed store for aracaunas or SLW. $8 is a good price for a pullet that is nearing point of lay, but if the oldest chicks are only 4 weeks they're still several months from their first egg. Personally I would be reluctant to pay $8 for a 0-4 week old chick unless they were from a serious top-notch breeder and I was really looking to show or breed quality birds, especially since at that age there's no guarantee that you won't get a rooster instead of a hen. $8 for a POL RLW pullet is another story, I'd be all over that deal!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  5. mama2many

mama2many Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    I sell mine for 4 bucks a piece. I buy my chicks from MPC and sell the extras. I have no problem with that price and sell all of them in weeks. That is at about 4 weeks old. I have spent as much as 15 bucks a pop for hens at the point of lay....just something to compare.

6. kidsnchicks

kidsnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    The red blue laced are older than the 4 week olds, thats why they are $8. If I had more room Id be getting more than the 3 breeds I picked,lol. We already have RIRs and Buff Orps and Black Aust, they should start laying with in the next few weeks. Thank you and I will see what I come home with,lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by