More colour confirmations on mixed-breeds

Umm, because to me it looks like these three are cockerels :oops:
Screenshot_20230629_233341_Samsung Internet.jpg

Umm, because to me it looks like these three are cockerels :oops: View attachment 3560326
Yup, but I have no intention of keeping the two blackish ones.

I've also got a few more that are still inside that I need to pick from too. Pullets that don't make the cut will be sold, and cockerels will most probably end up going to camp.

Are their feet feathered? I see one foot along the edge of the picture I quoted here that looks like it's not feathered to me, but it's hard to tell with a partial view like this. A pure Cochin should always produce chicks with foot feathering. There are multiple genes for foot feathering and I believe at least two of them are dominant or partially dominant, so first generation cross of a pure Cochin will always have some foot feathering. How sure are you that she's the mother? Any pictures of her?

I also can't tell if it's the lighting or not, but some of these chicks look like they don't have any blue genes, which isn't possible with a splash parent as all chicks will inherit one blue gene from that parent. And several of them don't appear to have E extended black which a Splash Cochin should be pure for and thus all offspring should inherit as well... I feel like either your Cochin isn't a pure Cochin or someone else has to be the mother. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom