More colour confirmations on mixed-breeds

Canadian Wind

Duck Crazy Canuck
Premium Feather Member
Jul 25, 2022
Eastern Ontario
My Coop
My Coop
Approximately 8 weeks old. Mother is a Splash Bantam Cochin, or is supposed to be as I raided her hidden nest! Father is a ??? Choice of a red mixed-breed, or a BBR EE. Obviously, Momma has some hidden genes, lol!

Curious about the two on the left. Bottom one I think is a Blue Buff. The one just above her is interesting, with red lacing on blue and black!

1688069232962.jpeg

1688069408886.jpeg

Based on what I can see of her, you definitely have another hen contributing here. She does not look like a mix to me in that shot, at least. Not knowing what the red mixed breed possible father looks like, I'd also lean toward the EE being the father based on the many pea combs I see in the bunch (though I do see a pullet with a single comb).

None of them have a feather coloration that is pure to assign an actual name for any of them. I'd just call them all barnyard mixes, personally.

Hmm, then either the father and some of the mothers have a recessive leg feathering gene they're carrying, or the Cochin isn't as pure as she looks... 🤔 How strange!

That's a heterozygous pea comb on the EE rooster, P/p+, which is why it stands up away from his head like that. The rose comb gene is fully dominant, so always produces a comb that's sort of flattish and close to the head. Some modifying genes might make them spikier or taller, but will not make them look like what your EE rooster had. The other rooster most likely has a bit of both rose and pea comb genetics in him to get that look to his comb, either R/r+ P/p+ or R/R P/p+. Either way, that means we can't necessarily rule out either of them as the father then as we don't know if the red mix is R/R or R/r+, though it's still much more likely for the EE rooster to produce a bunch of pea combed chicks than it is for the red mix assuming I'm right about his comb genetics.

Mixes involving mixes are just so hard to clue out! 😵‍💫 Long story short, your chicks don't have any feather patterns with specific names.

I'm leaning pullet for the blue buff and the two-tone one, and cockerels for the red-laced and paint-can-mishap ones.
Haven't decided if the two I believe are cockerels are going to stay or not. The pullets probably will. But since I lost my EE roo, I need a replacement so these will be in the running.

Back
Top Bottom