More colour confirmations on mixed-breeds

Umm, because to me it looks like these three are cockerels :oops:
Screenshot_20230629_233341_Samsung Internet.jpg

Umm, because to me it looks like these three are cockerels :oops: View attachment 3560326
Yup, but I have no intention of keeping the two blackish ones.

I've also got a few more that are still inside that I need to pick from too. Pullets that don't make the cut will be sold, and cockerels will most probably end up going to camp.

Are their feet feathered? I see one foot along the edge of the picture I quoted here that looks like it's not feathered to me, but it's hard to tell with a partial view like this. A pure Cochin should always produce chicks with foot feathering. There are multiple genes for foot feathering and I believe at least two of them are dominant or partially dominant, so first generation cross of a pure Cochin will always have some foot feathering. How sure are you that she's the mother? Any pictures of her?

I also can't tell if it's the lighting or not, but some of these chicks look like they don't have any blue genes, which isn't possible with a splash parent as all chicks will inherit one blue gene from that parent. And several of them don't appear to have E extended black which a Splash Cochin should be pure for and thus all offspring should inherit as well... I feel like either your Cochin isn't a pure Cochin or someone else has to be the mother. 🤔

Are their feet feathered? I see one foot along the edge of the picture I quoted here that looks like it's not feathered to me, but it's hard to tell with a partial view like this. A pure Cochin should always produce chicks with foot feathering. There are multiple genes for foot feathering and I believe at least two of them are dominant or partially dominant, so first generation cross of a pure Cochin will always have some foot feathering. How sure are you that she's the mother? Any pictures of her?

I also can't tell if it's the lighting or not, but some of these chicks look like they don't have any blue genes, which isn't possible with a splash parent as all chicks will inherit one blue gene from that parent. And several of them don't appear to have E extended black which a Splash Cochin should be pure for and thus all offspring should inherit as well... I feel like either your Cochin isn't a pure Cochin or someone else has to be the mother. 🤔
Not all of them are feathered, but some are. I'm not really concerned if the mother is pure or not, but she looks pure to me.

She's the one in the background on the right.

1688073184626.jpeg

Please ignore the remnants of a coop in the back, a tree fell on it. No chickens were harmed, thank goodness!

There is always a possibility that another hen found the nest that Pepper had made, and I may have tossed in a few other eggs too from the flock (I didn't write it down and am kicking myself for it now).

Back
Top Bottom