Hi to All

I would like to know

Which do you prefer like good layers only ;

... Rhode Island Red or Red Sex Link

.... Barred Rock Plymouth or Dominique's

Please select your opinion in both case

Thank you so much
best regards --George

Red sexlinks will have the best output of eggs compared to the amount of feed intake. They also are more tolerant of confinement. The down side is that they are more prone to prolapsed vents, egg binding, and internal laying.
Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks need plenty of elbow room. If space is limited, they would be a poor choice.

My best ever layers were my Barred Rocks *the hatchery ones*, my Delawares and my mixed breeds. Any common hatchery breeds have issues with internal laying/egg yolk peritonitis and such, from my experience (lost quite a few to those ailments, but almost no breeder quality ones to them).

The only breed that I felt did poorly in confinement were my Delawares-they were so smart they got bored very easily and would pick at the rooster's wattle and comb all the time. My heritage line Barred Rocks lay well, though not quite the "cranker-outers" as the hatchery gals, but they sure lived longer and with no egg issues. The Rocks are a bit more heat tolerant than the Delawares, who I find have very dense musculature, probably from their meat bird ancestry.

My Barred Rocks matched my Rhode Island Reds egg for egg. I've never owned a hatchery sex link, never wanted any, because I wanted to be able to breed pure breeds and those are hybrids, do not breed true. And, as junebuggena said, they are very prone to reproductive malfunctions, being high production. There is always a price for super high production. Chickens need breaks to allow their bodies to recharge from the strain of laying. Hybrids are bred to keep cranking them out for about two or three years.

I've had hatchery RIRs/Production Reds and they laid great...until they malfunctioned, just like a red sex link would do. I think most of the most common hatchery breeds you find in spring at feed stores are the same, not just sex links. I've also had the dark, large old time RIRs, but I didn't have them long enough to assess long-term, sold them to a friend. They laid daily, minded their business and never caused any trouble.

Can't comment on the Doms since I have not personally had them, but they were the original American breed and BRs came from them. Hope this helps, George.

I'd say RID or BR I've had both and they were exceptional layers. They each layed once a day. And I know this wasn't the question.... But, if you're just looking for a friendly AMAZING egg layer, Hands down I would suggest leghorns. I hope this helped.

Back
Top Bottom