Good mixed flock rooster?

Pics

GreenEggsAndHens

Chirping
Aug 7, 2017
Oklahoma
I'm starting all over with chickens this year. We lost our entire flock to multiple predator attacks last year between stray dogs and raccoons. I'm planning on ordering a variety of chickens from Valley Farms Hatchery this year. I've never done mail order chicks, but the place has excellent reviews, and they are much cheaper than other larger hatcheries.
Anyway, so far my order consists of 2 each of barred rocks, buff orpingtons, silver & gold laced wyandottes, welsummers, easter eggers, and cuckoo marans, all hens. I need one more bird to meet the minimum order of 15 chicks, and I want a rooster. My question is what are people's favorite roosters? This is simply a barnyard mix flock but egg laying is my #1 priority. I love rosters that are very showy, but it must be a breed that is docile. I contemplated another Easter egger just so that there is a possibility of passing on the interesting egg color genes to potential offspring, but those dark brahmas really caught my eye, but I don't know much about them. Bottom line is that I love colorful/interesting looking chickens, and unique colored eggs. My hope is that my orps will grow up to be broody and I'll be able to continue hatching my own little barnyard mix chicks.

I'm starting all over with chickens this year. We lost our entire flock to multiple predator attacks last year between stray dogs and raccoons. I'm planning on ordering a variety of chickens from Valley Farms Hatchery this year. I've never done mail order chicks, but the place has excellent reviews, and they are much cheaper than other larger hatcheries.
Anyway, so far my order consists of 2 each of barred rocks, buff orpingtons, silver & gold laced wyandottes, welsummers, easter eggers, and cuckoo marans, all hens. I need one more bird to meet the minimum order of 15 chicks, and I want a rooster. My question is what are people's favorite roosters? This is simply a barnyard mix flock but egg laying is my #1 priority. I love rosters that are very showy, but it must be a breed that is docile. I contemplated another Easter egger just so that there is a possibility of passing on the interesting egg color genes to potential offspring, but those dark brahmas really caught my eye, but I don't know much about them. Bottom line is that I love colorful/interesting looking chickens, and unique colored eggs. My hope is that my orps will grow up to be broody and I'll be able to continue hatching my own little barnyard mix chicks.
:jumpy :welcome :jumpy

The rooster featured in my profile picture is a barred rock and he is just the most cuddly boy I have ever owned! I highly suggest Buff Orpington roosters though, not all BR's are like my boy!
I love the Buff Orpington rooster. I have one that loves people and his girls. But is udderly intolerant of anything that threatens his girls!

I had a Buff Rooster last year. We love Buffs! They are probably some of our favorites! We like the rooster well enough, but I just like eye catching roosters if you know what I mean. Our buff was just kind of a plain guy, but his temperament was wonderful. My favorite rooster was some sort of barnyard mix. I'm guessing RIR cross, but don't know because he came from hatching eggs given to us from a friend who had all sorts of chickens free ranging around. He was golden buff colored with long green shiny tail feathers. I don't care for a full RIR Rooster, never had much luck with their tempers but Lucky the mutt roster was the exception. Here's the link to the hatchery offerings so you can see what breeds I have to choose from. https://www.valleyfarmshatchery.com/brownegglayingchickens

I had a Buff Rooster last year. We love Buffs! They are probably some of our favorites! We like the rooster well enough, but I just like eye catching roosters if you know what I mean. Our buff was just kind of a plain guy, but his temperament was wonderful. My favorite rooster was some sort of barnyard mix. I'm guessing RIR cross, but don't know because he came from hatching eggs given to us from a friend who had all sorts of chickens free ranging around. He was golden buff colored with long green shiny tail feathers. I don't care for a full RIR Rooster, never had much luck with their tempers but Lucky the mutt roster was the exception. Here's the link to the hatchery offerings so you can see what breeds I have to choose from. https://www.valleyfarmshatchery.com/brownegglayingchickens
Look up Buff Orpington rooster crossed with a Rhode Island hen. They make a handsome rooster

Back
Top Bottom