Good mixed flock rooster?

Pics
I have had the best of luck with the Light Sussex Roosters as shown in my avatar. They are big and calm, yet very alert. Depending on what I cross them with, their offspring is the same. (sometimes not so much with RIR's) Not flighty, doesn't need high fences either. Great egglayers and meat producers.

270005EA-B123-4856-85C7-3421CE430A77.jpeg
0D81F3DD-3CF8-46B0-BD1B-67DD0F538BE3.jpeg
I have a Phoenix rooster who is showy. My friend raised him from a chick so he’s friendly.

0B0B29B3-A70C-422E-AABD-07D42A5788D8.jpeg

The rooster featured in my profile picture is a barred rock and he is just the most cuddly boy I have ever owned! I highly suggest Buff Orpington roosters though, not all BR's are like my boy!
My Peter Pan is a cuddly guy. He’s also the best babysitter and keeps watch over any chicks or ducklings. He’s not the alpha, more like second in command, but he gets along well with everyone in the flock and never causes a problem. I don’t know what I’d do without his steadfast presence in my yard.

I also lost my whole flock to a predator, all in one night; we got smart & put up 3 strands of hot wire & it's been about 3 years since starting over, with no problems anymore. This time I chose a dozen chicks to start with: 6 Americanas (our best hotter weather layers) & 6 Black Australorps (our best colder weather layers), am adding 3 Speckled Sussex next week to see how they fit in & to update the flock with some younger ones for continuous laying as they all age.

My wonderful rooster "Buckbeak" is an Americana & was chosen for his comb which is a pea comb (close to the head & less likely to have frostbite, don't want to see that happen again with a straight comb type). Buckbeak is so brave & never slacks off in his duty to alert the hens of a bird of prey swooping over. He's the best ever & docile, once I picked him up for 5 minutes to show him who his alpha was
buckbeak and hens 2018.jpg
! Best wishes with your choice, there are so many beautiful ones to choose from.

View attachment 1259506 View attachment 1259507 I have a Phoenix rooster who is showy. My friend raised him from a chick so he’s friendly.
Ooh at my house those tail feathers would not last a day. Instead I have a nice big "barnyard medley" roo. I got him from a friend who lives in the city. She got 7 chicks and 3 were roosters and so she gave one to me. I have no good pictures of him right now, (unless you want to see his eye, right up close to the camera) although he is quite a flashy roo, right now my buff Orpington chewed his tail feathers off in the night. He is a barred rock, easter egger, welsummer and "big fat meat chicken" (as the girl who hatched him called it) cross we think.

Ooh at my house those tail feathers would not last a day. Instead I have a nice big "barnyard medley" roo. I got him from a friend who lives in the city. She got 7 chicks and 3 were roosters and so she gave one to me. I have no good pictures of him right now, (unless you want to see his eye, right up close to the camera) although he is quite a flashy roo, right now my buff Orpington chewed his tail feathers off in the night. He is a barred rock, easter egger, welsummer and "big fat meat chicken" (as the girl who hatched him called it) cross we think.
He sounds interesting ! I think if I ever get another after this I’d like to try a barred rock roo as my barred rock hens are my absolute favorite in my flock

Back
Top Bottom