Good mixed flock rooster?

I have a few roosters I like love. I have a barred rock rooster that loves to be held and kissed. Perfect gentleman. I have quite a few Silkie roosters but they are usually always sweet. I also have a tiny serama rooster named Tyson. He has little man syndrome and thinks he is some big hot shot but he loves cuddles too.

After looking around more I’m really liking how welsummer roosters look. Can’t go wrong with the cornflakes rooster right??
My husband wants a buff so we will see.
Does anyone keep welsummers?
I have a few. They will be my last. Super flighty and spooked easily. And they seem to have a problem running into the hardware cloth on the run daily. Just not that bright. Eggs are pretty, but they spooked my flock often because they are paranoid and freak out often.

Don't forget that most hatcheries don't sex their chicks properly 10% of the time. With a 15 chick order, plus the usual 1-2 extra to cover loses in shipping, you should end up with a rooster inadvertently. Just order 15 pullets.

LOL I did that this last go round based on prior experience buying straight run. The farmer's co-op advertised chicks as pullets, but I got about 50% more than I wanted figuring that I'd get some roos that I'd get rid of. Turns out they were all pullets, so I got overrun with chickens. Apparently Welsummers can be sexed at birth.

I have a few. They will be my last. Super flighty and spooked easily. And they seem to have a problem running into the hardware cloth on the run daily. Just not that bright. Eggs are pretty, but they spooked my flock often because they are paranoid and freak out often.

What does super flighty and spooked easily mean? Curious if that's what mine do, or if what I'm used to is not normal. I used to think my Welsummers were dumber than dirt when they'd see their friends outside the fence and run back and forth trying to get to them while the gate was open behind them. Buy they've gotten over that and I don't see anything now that I'd label dumb.

Two cautions about Brahma and Cochin roosters: They are very large, which may be an issue with smaller hens. Also, if I recall correctly, feathered legs are a dominant trait, so all of their offspring will have feathered legs.

Your best bets for hens that might go broody are buff orpington and black australorp.
Half will have Feathered legs..I breed my Brahma with Orpington Hens..

What does super flighty and spooked easily mean? Curious if that's what mine do, or if what I'm used to is not normal. I used to think my Welsummers were dumber than dirt when they'd see their friends outside the fence and run back and forth trying to get to them while the gate was open behind them. Buy they've gotten over that and I don't see anything now that I'd label dumb.
Mine do that in the fenced in run when the door is open 5 feet away.

When I say spooked easily and flighty, I mean that the wind rustles some leaves and they sqawk and run flapping feathers under a bush. All the other chickens are always like " what are we running from?" But they are always running off somewhere scared and flapping wings like their ass is on fire. Just dumb as a box of rocks in my opinion. But they are pretty, but I like my chill relax birds.

Austrolorps are docile I’ve heard. If you can assert dominance over a rooster well, get a columbian rock. Not afraid of anything but can be extremely aggressive. I have one named Napoleon. Hawks? Big dogs? He’s attacked them all. He is going to be two in March and I just love him to bits!

Back
Top Bottom