Good mixed flock rooster?

Most Hatcheries will throw in a 16th chick-- or so- whatever their minimum is. McMurray calls it a "Special Chick" and Meyer calls it a Meal Maker.
Regardless, they're almost always spare roosters. You could try for a Surprise chick.

If you decide to buy a mature rooster later, I would look for one who is what folks call a "Broody Rooster." They're the sort that sit in the nesting boxes and sing to the hens and help raise the chicks. So far, the two EE roosters I've had have been Great like this!

Buff Orpingtons have a very good following, but you can get good and bad in all. We had bad luck with a Black Copper maran. We have an Easter Egger now that awesome.

20171112_153837.jpg

We've got a blue orpington rooster who is a gentle boy, he looks after his girls, makes sure they eat and gets between them and our dogs (not that our dogs are a real threat to our chooks)
His sons, all mixes, were a bit hit and miss personality wise. Some were lovely like their father, others were pretty awful to the hens and him

I do thinking getting a rooster from a mixed age flock would be better for your hens as a first rooster (raise your own later) as he is more likely to be better behaved and know how to look after his girls

We added a rooster after 3 years. A friend ended up with a few after ordering female chicks from hatchery. He traded those for locally hatched pullets to someone wanting a rooster. These morphed into roosters also. He gave me a blue andalusion cross possibly an easter egger. He was younger than my hens and was chased for a few months. Puberty hit and he became the chaser. When a coyote killed one the other day my flock scattered and we couldnt find 2. Eventually the rooster came out and began rounding up the girls. By roost time he got all in coop. Getting a free rooster later worked for us. Someone is always giving away roosters and they can join a flock.

I would get the rooster that created the most interesting offspring. For example, my current rooster is Araucana, because we've had problems with frostbite and I want my future chicks to have a tiny comb. And he's not a rumpless Araucana, since I like girls with a big booty!

In your case, I would probably choose a Barred Rock. They're good size, mellow, but most of all, they're barred, and barring + different colors create, in my opinion, the most stunning birds!

I'm starting all over with chickens this year. We lost our entire flock to multiple predator attacks last year between stray dogs and raccoons. I'm planning on ordering a variety of chickens from Valley Farms Hatchery this year. I've never done mail order chicks, but the place has excellent reviews, and they are much cheaper than other larger hatcheries.
Anyway, so far my order consists of 2 each of barred rocks, buff orpingtons, silver & gold laced wyandottes, welsummers, easter eggers, and cuckoo marans, all hens. I need one more bird to meet the minimum order of 15 chicks, and I want a rooster. My question is what are people's favorite roosters? This is simply a barnyard mix flock but egg laying is my #1 priority. I love rosters that are very showy, but it must be a breed that is docile. I contemplated another Easter egger just so that there is a possibility of passing on the interesting egg color genes to potential offspring, but those dark brahmas really caught my eye, but I don't know much about them. Bottom line is that I love colorful/interesting looking chickens, and unique colored eggs. My hope is that my orps will grow up to be broody and I'll be able to continue hatching my own little barnyard mix chicks.

I started my first chicken flock getting 2 of several different breeds. I wish I would have ordered only one of each breed for a bigger gene-pool for future generations.

Buff Orpingtons are great.

However, if you want a showy roo with a great temperament, I'd go with Brahmas. They are regarded as gentle giants.
Light, Buff, and Dark are offered at the hatchery you mentioned along with pictures of the roos (the Buff Brahma is very beautiful in my opinion). However, only the light brahma is sold sexed from that hatchery (still a very pretty bird). Also, since Brahma's have pea combs, you can worry a lot less about frostbite.

Just don't get a RIR or Barred Rock roo. Both, especially the RIR, are prone to being aggressive. (from personal experience).

Last edited:
LOL I did that this last go round based on prior experience buying straight run. The farmer's co-op advertised chicks as pullets, but I got about 50% more than I wanted figuring that I'd get some roos that I'd get rid of. Turns out they were all pullets, so I got overrun with chickens. Apparently Welsummers can be sexed at birth.
I have heard that too!! although have yet to experience them to know the difference!

Back
Top Bottom