Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Rhode Island Red

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
Now,the egg producing I suppose is violent.
My 1 hen had a egg sack stuck hanging from her vent.
I just tore it out.

I have had this happen once.The bird is fine and continues her life
like as ll the others,happyand healthy.
that sounds easy enough to handle, although a bit gross xD

that's good it's not too serious though

Really? well that's good to know!! I don't know where I heard that, thought it was from people on here but it must depend on the individual bird or strain too.

thanks for the info :)

I think if I did get any sex links, it would probably be black anyways.

Although, I'm curious just because I forget, what are the mixes that make up the two?

Im not sure.
Youd have to search it.Hmm now im curious,X2.

that sounds easy enough to handle, although a bit gross xD

that's good it's not too serious though

Did I forget to mention the Sussex?

I dont have any,but from reading information,
their docile and great egg layers.
Not the broody type ,if they do,its the speckled sussex.

Im not sure.
Youd have to search it.Hmm now im curious,X2.

I'll go Google it!!

I'm not sure if you mentioned it or someone else but I've been considering them too. there's too many breeds D:

I'm definitely not opposed to them and had actually considered them a while ago but the reason they weren't on the list anymore is because I'd heard a lot of them (and the red ones) have a lot of health problems? Or, mostly, egg binding issues? I don't know how true that is or if it's easy to fix but if it is true, it's a little worrying and nerve-wracking to me as a complete beginner hahah they do seem like great birds though and I definitely want to try them if that's not true or easy to deal with.

Hmm, definitely doesn't sound like the bird for me then xD

I've raised both the Black and Red Sex Links for years and never had health problems (egg binding issues, etc.) with them, although evidently sometimes it does happen. However, in my experience the sex links don't tend to live as long or lay as long as the hardier breeds like Australorps and Orpingtons, but since egg production is a priority for me, and I rotate most of my flock every 2-3 years anyway, it's not really an issue for me personally; and boy, do the sex links lay great in their prime.

I've had Speckled Sussex and really like them. They are very hardy, friendly and calm (my children made lap pets of them), and good layers of large, brown eggs. I have seriously considered getting some more Speckled Sussex.

I've raised both the Black and Red Sex Links for years and never had health problems (egg binding issues, etc.) with them, although evidently sometimes it does happen. However, in my experience the sex links don't tend to live as long or lay as long as the hardier breeds like Australorps and Orpingtons, but since egg production is a priority for me, and I rotate most of my flock every 2-3 years anyway, it's not really an issue for me personally; and boy, do the sex links lay great in their prime.

That's awesome they don't seem to have issues. Maybe I'll have to consider them after all. I think I'd probably keep them their whole lives but it shouldn't be an issue or I suppose I could replace them with the same breed.

I've had Speckled Sussex and really like them. They are very hardy, friendly and calm (my children made lap pets of them), and good layers of large, brown eggs. I have seriously considered getting some more Speckled Sussex.

I know this one wasn't directed at me but they seem like great birds, I think I want them.

That's awesome they don't seem to have issues. Maybe I'll have to consider them after all. I think I'd probably keep them their whole lives but it shouldn't be an issue or I suppose I could replace them with the same breed.
Having had both sex link varieties, if you do get some, I would suggest getting the Black Sex Link. My Black Sex Links have tended to live longer and have a longer laying life than my Red Sex Links. Also, they have laid slightly better in really cold, winter weather.

I think perhaps, friendliness can be an individual trait, not dependent on where you got your birds. Two years ago we got chickens again after a several year hiatus. We got our initial chickens from different sources. Local breeders (birds were between two and five months old) and day old hatchery peeps.
Unfortunately when I got them, I had just been in an accident and my husband had to care for them. I couldn't feed or water or pick them up and handle them for seven months.
All I could do after a while is sit by them and talk to them. And offer them food by hand. They learned to take it and come running when they saw me.
Since then I have incubated my own birds from both my own and purchased egg (breeder eggs) and did add a few more different breeds from a hatchery.
There really is not much difference if any between hatchery, breeder or birds I hatched myself.
My EE's were either hatchery birds or the younger ones I have hatched myself. One I have from the original group is active and quirky in a funny sort of way.
The ones I got last year are larger and calmer. But the interesting thing is I have hatched several of the original one's eggs and the offspring are calm, but one is a spitting image of her mother with the same quirky personality. I definitely plan to hatch some eggs from both mother and daughter this spring.
If I use the criteria that I want to hatch eggs from my best layers, all my EE's will contribute eggs for hatching.

Back
Top Bottom