Good receipes for a mother having nausia from chemo.

I have been a caregiver for many loved ones with cancer--it can be such a tough battle. You and your mother are in my prayers.

Thalidomide has generally the same effect as the THC is marijuana...it makes the patient sleepy and then hungry. I don't know if your mom's oncologist can prescribe this or not. Medical grad marijuana can also be quite helpful. Zofran is an anti-nausea drug, quite costly though and many insurances balk at the cost.

Two tricks I learned while traveling around the Pacific are papaya and miso (not necessarily together). They are used primarily for morning sickness and can be great at reducing nausea. Fresh papaya was great for during the first few weeks of both my pregnancies--I would gag it down and the nausea would dissipate. Within a half and hour I was hungry! Miso soup was just great for helping with my queasy stomach. Both fresh papaya and miso are healthy too.

Ginger is great for nausea... my fiance puts fresh ginger chunks into tea. I am a nurse so sometimes at work we make "ginger tea" which is just half tea and half ginger ale and it works well for patients with stomach upset. It's not food I know but maybe if you make a noodle dish you could incorporate ginger? Best wishes to you both
hugs.gif

when i would get nauseous my mom would make me a beer chicken soup. i don't know the recipe but found this that sounds similar. my mom added ginger which is great for nausea.

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Number=116041&page=4
Tiger Beer Chicken Soup
Recipe by Gina Choong

Serves 2
Ingredients
2 chicken thigh, deboned, skin intact
1 pickled garlic*
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp szechuan peppercorns
1 can of Tiger Beer(Chilled from the fridge. If not, any good beer would do!)

Method
1. Slice garlic thinly.
2. Cut up chicken into thick chunks.
3. Heat up wok with 1 tbsp of cooking oil
4. Add garlic to saute till the sides turn slightly brown and crispy
5. Add chicken and stir fry over high heat for 3 mins.
6. Add beer, szechuan peppercorns, salt to cook till it boils.
7. Cover the wok and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
8. Turn off fire, dish out and serve warm.

Great on its own..!

Back
Top Bottom