Good things today on the farm

I believe buckeyes are horse chestnuts, right? If so, they're not edible, (sweet chestnuts are the edible ones), but in the UK, where I was born, they're known as "conkers". When we were kids, we'd wait for them to harden, then string one on an old shoelace. You have conker fights with them, which consist of one person standing with their conker hanging straight down, while their competitor takes aim with their conker, and tries to hit the first one. As I recall, the person whose conker stays on the string longest wins. I remember my brothers would soak theirs in vinegar, to harden them.

My dad also told me that they put conkers under their gas fireplace - it keeps the spiders from coming into the living room!

Cool pics, 2009NewChickMom! Thanks so much for triggering some fun memories!

oh, your killing me lol, all our tomatoes rotted on the vine and our cucumbers grew about 8 inches off the ground and every cuke was stunted. all and all about 50 plants. we got 9 inches of rain in 1 month.
he.gif

Quote:
ohhh the days of conker fights... the conker season is just about upon us and the trees nearby are laden with them..... I did not know about putting conkers around to repel spiders though THANK YOU... I hate bugs and as we are now in September the spiders all seem to come out of hiding...... arghhhhhhh............

Quote:
At least you HAD tomatoes and cucumbers.
I got 8 okra. 8.

Nice photos, 2009! Makes me wish... wish... wish...

Quote:
At least you HAD tomatoes and cucumbers.
I got 8 okra. 8.

Nice photos, 2009! Makes me wish... wish... wish...

i would have liked to eat some thow lol

In a typical year, we would have had literally hundreds of tomatoes and cucumbers, but with such a wet June, we also experienced a bad tomato/cucumber year.
Even the wild plums have decided that summer 2009 isn't a good one, with no wild plums on the trees, and I usually have 20 bushels growing wild.
Hickory nuts are looking good, though. Anytime now if I can beat the wild turkeys/deer to them.

Back
Top Bottom