Good Trees for Chicken Roosting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AmazingRachel, Mar 15, 2018.

1. AmazingRachel

AmazingRachel Songster

Mar 10, 2017
    Westchester, NY
    What are some good trees chickens can roost in to help evade coyotes?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Most any tree tall enough will do the job. My birds tend to roost in mulberry trees just because there are so many. But while they are safe from coyotes, they wont be safe from raccoons, 'possums and owls if they are sleeping in the trees.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Mine roost inside their safe coop

Folly's place and aart like this.
  4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I had chickens that roosted in trees once. It's kind of disturbing to go out in the morning and find the decapitated bodies of chickens after the owls pop their heads off during the night.

5. Erin80

Erin80 Songster

Apr 16, 2017
    Mine prefer spruce, pine or fir.......as in their roosts in the coop where they are safe from everything, including elements :love

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Do you mean cover for birds to hide in while ranging during the day or for them to roost in at night?

7. AmazingRachel

AmazingRachel Songster

Mar 10, 2017
    Westchester, NY
    No, they roost in the coop at night. During the day, coyotes pick them off in broad daylight so I was thinking that low/mid high trees would be good for them to fly up into when they come around.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Yes if they can fly some of mine are game so they fly well, others are LF large shaped they would never make it up in a tree and most likely flying into a bush wouldn't save them from a coyote.

We have coyotes.bears and just about all manner of preds here that is why mine only forage inside half acre fence.

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    All my flocks free range but there are a lot of trees but especially small and midsized mulberry trees scattered around. Their branches start quite low and while my birds rarely fly, when threatened they can fly up onto roofs.

AmazingRachel likes this.
  10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    In that case, maybe a spruce or pine tree with lower branches so they can get into the tree, and work their way up. If they figure out that going up the tree would keep them safe.

AmazingRachel likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: