Goodbye all my Pets

I don't know your situation but my heart goes out to you! If you decide to get more chickens later you might want to consider getting modern game or OEG chickens.They do lay fewer and smaller eggs but they're predator savvy and fly better which makes them easier to free range in the right setting.Wishing you the best!
Oooh, thank you for the tip! I might consider getting some, but for sure I want some that lay large eggs often.(I bake a TON!) I definitely want a couple Orpingtons, EEs, Leghorns, Rhode Islands, and maybe a few bantams (maybe Silkie!). I am moving to a home with 2+ acres of land. Lots of opportunities! Main purpose I keep chickens is for entertainment and pets, but eggs are such a great thing to get-right out of your own backyard! I've been taking care of my own chooks for 10+ years and egg-spect to continue in the future when the time is right!

Oooh, thank you for the tip! I might consider getting some, but for sure I want some that lay large eggs often.(I bake a TON!) I definitely want a couple Orpingtons, EEs, Leghorns, Rhode Islands, and maybe a few bantams (maybe Silkie!). I am moving to a home with 2+ acres of land. Lots of opportunities! Main purpose I keep chickens is for entertainment and pets, but eggs are such a great thing to get-right out of your own backyard! I've been taking care of my own chooks for 10+ years and egg-spect to continue in the future when the time is right!
I want to raise some chicks from a game rooster crossed with brown leghorn hens (or domestic rooster and game hens might be better)

Last edited:
I want to raise some chicks from a game rooster crossed with brown leghorn hens (or domestic rooster and game hens might be better)
I wonder how they would look, BLH X GR. I haven't had much exp with OEG. What I do know is even the full size female hen stays small. Are there only standard size hens or can you get them in Bantam Variety? I know the standard are small, but what size would the bantams be? Interesting. I have kept white leghorns and even the standard size of standard leghorn is not bantam sized, but not large like an RIR or ORP. I'd classify them as a medium sized chicken. They are also slim bodied and are flighty, hardly ever broody, and occasionally aggressive much like the OEG. I do want variety in my flock. I don't have to have broodiness as a trait, as I do not plan on Hatching eggs. I buy mine as chicks from my local feed store in the spring, or order them from a trusted online hatchery.

I wonder how they would look, BLH X GR. I haven't had much exp with OEG. What I do know is even the full size female hen stays small. Are there only standard size hens or can you get them in Bantam Variety? I know the standard are small, but what size would the bantams be? Interesting. I have kept white leghorns and even the standard size of standard leghorn is not bantam sized, but not large like an RIR or ORP. I'd classify them as a medium sized chicken. They are also slim bodied and are flighty, hardly ever broody, and occasionally aggressive much like the OEG. I do want variety in my flock. I don't have to have broodiness as a trait, as I do not plan on Hatching eggs. I buy mine as chicks from my local feed store in the spring, or order them from a trusted online hatchery.
I want a few OE game hens bred to crested cream legbar roosters. Their offspring would fly better than my existing flock

Back
Top Bottom