Goodbye baby Ginger I love you.

Amanda,

What a harrowing story, I feel your pain hun. You loved her as no other can and it is difficult when they pass on, no matter how it happened. Instead of thinking of anything new you get as a replacement for her, try thinking about it as a new companion that she would have liked and enjoyed too. I know from past experience, that there truly is no such thing as replacing some living creature that you cared about, only a hope that what you do in the future would have made them happy too.

I'd also like to ask you to try very hard not to place blame. Any difficulty encounterd is a culmination of unfortunate events. It is unlikely that your father let the dog out with the intent of causing your chickens harm. As a previous poster here mentioned, dogs are powerful preditors by nature, and I would add, they should not be blamed for their actions when inadvertantly given the opportunity to hunt an easy prey.

We have just recently begun to let our 14 week old flock free range. They absolutely love their new found freedom and are very well behaved around the range. We also have a 6 year old black lab mix that has always been very curious about the flock. We have made a point of having the dog with us whenever we interact with the flock and she has, at times, shown some agression toward the birds, like a quick pounce when one would scramble about nearby, but as time went along, she sort of adopted them as her own and has become very friendly with them. As I walked around the range area yesterday I took the dog with me as the chickens free ranged. I could see that while she was quite interested in them, as they were in her, there was no indication that she would harm any of them, either with or without one of her masters around to supervise. So today, I let her out by herself while the chickens were out foraging. She checked them out while they checked her out and all was good with the world. She ran around out there for hours unsupervised without causing one single problem with the flock. She is a very well behaved girl and we are fortunate to have such a wonderful dog. Just don't ever try to come in our house without us around though, you will likely lose a limb as she is well aware of her responsibilities as a watch dog.

I only tell you this to make you aware that it is always wise to work with and love all of your animals, especially those that might pose a danger to others if given the opportunity. If this cannot be done, protect those in the greatest danger from those that can cause them harm. I am sure that you have already taken from this experience an unfortunate, but valuable lesson. The best thing you can do now is take what you've learned and make it a lasting legecy to Ginger.

Take care Amanda,

Mike

Again, thank you all... it just makes me want to cry cause I know my dog and how he plays with his toys, he grips the toy in his teeth hard and shakes it like a rabid beast. Just thinking that in my mind...it just makes my thoughts feel sour with pain in enflamed with what my baby Ginger had to go through. I am not going make any contact with my dog for now as I feel discourged when close to him with what such a calm dog I have known sence once a puppy to a grown wholsome dog, could do all this ...all this pain...and suffering.

I don't know what to do and how to forgive my dog I am still in pain right now but it seems I will never come down from this cloud of sorrow, and even if I reach down back to earth, I still wont know what to do with myself...I dont feel I will be able to put away the pain I feel when near him.

I am so sorry for the loss of your chick. One of my dogs got one of my chicks this year also. I didn't even know I had chicks and then my dog found my hen and her two chicks wandering around. She did not kill it so I gave that one back to the hen. That was a bad mistake because the chick couldn't make it and that night the hen lost her life, I assume protecting the chick.

It was horrible and I felt terrible about it.

I didn't blame my dog though. She was just doing what dogs do. We when keep different species together on the same property we always have to be extra careful to keep everyone safe. Still in all, accidents happen and it is horrible when they do.

Although I am still peeved at the neighbor cat who took a chick.

I am also very sorry about your dad. I wish someone had told me when I was younger that a lot of men just don't know how to handle their feelings and so when they should sympathize with you, they stuff those feelings down and get mad. Men are taught, in some families, that all feelings except for anger are not acceptable. When they see someone they love hurt or crying instead being comforting they get mad. It is really stupid, but that is the way that they think. So I bet that your dad just felt awful and something he may have done, even if he didn't mean to, caused you pain and didn't know how to deal with those feelings.

Anyway I am sorry for your loss and I hope you can forgive both your dad and your dog.

So sorry for your loss, I've been very fortunate to have chicken and duck friendly dogs, but dogs will be dogs and they get curious. With that being said I had my rabbit out in my backyard at one time and my father let our one dog out the front door as i was cleaning the duck pools I heard my bunny scream but it was too late he was already flopping around with his neck broke, It was horrible. I was mad at the dog at the time cause i never known her to kill one of my other pets so it had made me very angry but then she used those instincts one night to protect my ducks and i was very very grateful, i love my dog to death but if things like this never happened we would never learn from our mistakes.
hugs.gif
Ginger was very adorable and very lucky to have such a caring momma
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom