Goofy guineas terrified of ice

chickenannie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 19, 2007
Pennsylvania
My guineas have been hiding out in an evergreen tree for 3 DAYS since the ground got covered in 3 inches of snow capped by a half inch of ice. They are so terrified, they have not come down ONCE for food and water. I tried to chase them out but they just go deeper in the tree. I put food and water right under the tree, but no go.
Now I'm afraid they're going to starve to death in there. Does anyone know how long they can go without food/water???? I thought they would get hungry and thirsty enough to come down themselves, but I'm being to wonder..... Should I go with a ladder and try to drag them out? Which is not easy -- for those of you with guineas, they are strong little buggers and I've got scars on my arms to prove it.

By the way, they've never slept outside EVER. They always go in the chicken coop at night. It's 15 degrees outside. They can fly, I don't know why they don't just fly into the coop!

Last edited:
they'll come down when they get hungry nuff,,,,, their just mules with wings,,, stubborn !!

a chainsaw would help
big_smile.png

I agree, put something down to make it look like grass. Straw, hay, etc. Something fluffy for them to fly down onto. I would be very worried about them dying of thirst or something. They could always be "eating" the ice or snow off the tree though.

OMG!
lau.gif
I hate to laugh because I know you are worried, but those Guineas are so funny!
We used to have Guineas (until neighbor complained) and ours were fearless! They went in snow, ice, whatever! And they withstood some bitter temps with only partial shelter. Ours had a whole barn, but chose to stay out most of the time.
I'm sure by now you have tried the straw or hay to attract them back to Earth. I hope it worked. One friend I know had a flock that lived in a big tree. This was not a pine tree, though, and they had one freeze to death.

After 4 entire days of no water/no food, the guineas finally flew down from the tree today and gobbled up as much food as they possibly could. Thank god! I tried to chase them out of the tree again yesterday and they refused to get out. I even picked one up and it flew right back in. Amazing.
I could tell this morning when I put food down on the ground, right in front ofthem, they were chattering chattering chattering like the lunatics they are, that they were desperately hungry.
Thanks for the support!

If by funny you mean stupid... Mine are the dumbest things I've ever seen when they were first mine I raised them inside a coop till they were adults and they didn't know they could fly

I will not let my guineas out of barn when there is snow on the ground. If they roost in the trees they are dinner for the owls at night.
Last week when there was just patchy snow I did let them out in the afternoon. They jumped or flew over the snow and tried to only walk in the grass. Goofy birds but ya gotta love em...

Back
Top Bottom