Goose and hatching gosling

Sandwilly12

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2018
I have a gosling that’s hatching.. after another egg came up missing, I’m concerned for the rest. The one that’s hatching now has pipped but the momma goose is pecking at it some. Is this normal? Is she trying to hurt it or help it along?

Thank you for your response..:)
Yes she’s a first time mom.. just turned 1 yr old. The gosling has fully hatched and all is good! I have been keeping a very close eye on her and she has turned out to be a great mom:) hoping the other 2 will hatch but I don’t think they are as far along. If for some reason the mom stops sitting on them I have my incubator ready or the other goose may take over as she was sharing this next with her originally. 42D85239-C91B-4497-B9C8-BBCDE3BC8EBC.png

Is she a first time mom? She might not know what's happening to her eggs. I've never had my goose hatch eggs, but I did see one of my ducks when her first duckling was hatching. She tried to remove the hatching egg, as if it had gotten broken, but when she picked it up the duckling started peeping. It took her a minute, but she finally figured it out and put the egg back in the nest. In the end the duckling hatched and she was a good mom.

If your goose is actually removing shell before the blood vessels have finished breaking down, the gosling could bleed to death. I have also heard of ducks and geese incubating eggs, but then attacking the ducklings or goslings when they hatch, so I try to keep a close watch with first time moms.

Sorry, I don't have much experience with this, hopefully someone else can be of more help.

Back
Top Bottom