GOOSE BREEDING THREAD - for breeding, incubating, hatching and rearing.

Pics

pete55

Songster
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Hi All

A new thread for members to discuss and ask questions about their breeding news. Generally a thread for all breeds of Geese and news from other members.

Lots of members contributed to the Hatch Along thread but this was moved to the Incubation Section. I was concerned new members may not find it as the information is Goose specific.

Anyway with members contributing I'm sure this thread will soon be packed with news and helpful advice about goose breeding.

Feel free to add your questions and news
thumbsup.gif

Pete
wink.png

HI All

Still hatching here in the UK but we did get off to a very late start. I've just put the last 7 Dewlap eggs in the incubator as 2 of our pairs both laid a second clutch of eggs. As they're from our pairs producing Buffs I didn't want to waste them.

If they're fertile we'll be hatching in July this year!

In the meantime we've had our best year for Dewlaps and many of the babies are showing promise for size and type. In fact some of the best goslings are Buff Dewlaps!!!

Iain - like I've said there has to be another Buff in those eggs for you. Nobody would have predicted 10 Grey males and 1 Buff
th.gif

Here's a picture of one of our goslings at 3 weeks and showing the features from our Dewlux line
wee.gif

Hey PETE !! I am here to help out any peeps in goosey gooseness!

Beautiful Goslings! !

Here are soggy bottoms ~

Last edited:
Thanks Shellie

We like that that gosling too and very chunky. It seems the use of our Dewlux Grey line has influenced the quality of the goslings this year and many are showing early promise. Some goslings are showing good body depth at 8 days old which is getting better as they get older. However we'll keep running on as some of our lines get there over a longer period. It is nice to see good type at an early age and just hope they keep it.

RG - Hi there and some lovely goslings there. You must be over the moon and a great foundation flock of Dewlaps for you Super pictures but those lively youngsters sure are hard to photograph!!! Yours look healthy and are putting on weight very well. I'm looking forward to see how they develop as the summer passes.

Pete

Last edited:
OH & I am getting 2 new Goslings today !!!!!
woot.gif
woot.gif

Gotta run ~ Going there now!
Shhhh its a secret .......

Last edited:
Hi all!

My last batch of geese (I think) for the season is hatching out this weekend. Got 3 Toulouse in the brooder from yesterday, one Toulouse drying out in the incubator now, one Embden almost fully out, a couple with pips, and the rest yet to see. I got Toulouse and Embden eggs from a farmer friend, but they were under his geese when we started incubating them. So there's no telling which is which or when they will pop out! Sort of a fun game guessing who and when!

Bonus is that my latest batch of Welsh Harlequins decided to make their appearance at the same time. The more, the merrier!

So glad you made this new thread. The other one died as soon as it was moved.

Geese update:
All are done laying (thank goodness)
I have one goose out of two that i allowed to set still setting and she has 10 days to go. She bent my egg grabber when it got too close(10 feet away) to her and ripped it clean out of my hand lol.
Dixie has gotten her honk and tons of weight shes getting huge for almost 7 wks old. The other 2 are close behind.
My 12 little splash bunch are 17 days old now and are eye catchers ive been asked many times to sell them lol NOT gonna happen.
Duckies are a month old now and getting their quacks and whasps i think the two dark are drakes and the whites are hens. Would brown runner x pekin cross be sex link? That would be great if the 9 white were hens and the 2 brown are drakes. I dont think im that lucky, Flip and Flop(the 2 disabled duckies) are huge they look like they have snow shovels for bills.

Back
Top Bottom