Goose Egg Incubation

silkie1472

Songster
Dec 28, 2016
I feel a little crazy for not knowing the answer, but I was wondering if the incubation period for geese is the same for all. Does it vary?

Is it true that Canada goose eggs hatch in 28 days? What about embden? Toulouse? Sebastopol? Are they the same?

Goose eggs do vary as far as incubation time goes, and they can even vary within the breed. They usually take somewhere between 28-32 days to hatch. Generally speaking, the larger an egg is, the longer it might take the embryo inside to fully develop. So even within the same breed you can end up with a larger egg taking longer to hatch than a smaller egg. I've had sebastopols take 28 days to hatch, and also up to 32 days for a larger egg.

Okay, as you can probably tell, this is my first time incubating goose eggs. I read that geese hatch better when incubated on their sides, so this is what I did:

Just to test the eggs out, I have only placed two in the incubator. The rest of the eggs are turkey eggs (unimproved bronze). Do you think that this setup will work? (keep in mind that I will still turn the eggs 180° before and after school and before I go to bed)

Hi again! I'm not sure that that will really be turning the eggs. I'd mark one side with an X, then check on it in an hour and see if it's really moved at all.

They won't get turned enough. They will develop but will get stuck and die. Its better to turn them by hand completely over, 2 or 3 times a day.

I understand that it is not "turning" the eggs, instead it moves them back and forth. I said that I would still be turning them before and after school and before I go to bed. The goose had sat on them for a couple nights, so they have already began developing. The yolk has not got stuck or anything.

When they're in the incubator like this, it turns the turkey eggs perfectly, as they've hatched extremely well last time, and the goose eggs are getting turned just as much as if I'd used the trays made for them.

As I read over that, I think I may have sounded a little rude, so I'm sorry if I made it sound that way.

I've tried every egg tray made for goose eggs and none have even come close to hatch rates compared to turning by hand. So I'd say your good to go. Goose eggs also do better when you mist them with room temp water every other day. So I'd take them out and mist them then put them back in. Also high, high, high, humidity when in lockdown for hatching.

Back
Top Bottom