Goose Egg Trouble leaky vent, bloody egg, cant walk

shawnellabella

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 16, 2013
Winlock, WA
I got a new (she said toulouse but this goose I think is a domestic grayleg she is smaller than my pilgrim and close to Chinese size) goose along with her two companions I was told on the phone she could not walk and was broody and sitting on a nest of her eggs and I was like yeah I can take her on it's probably bumblefoot or osteomylitis, it's muddy here and there's lots of stickerbushes and whatnot. When she got here in the car I saw she pooped regular and laid an egg, on the egg I saw blood which is odd because she is a few years old and laid before but it may have been a bit big for her. I picked her up after that to put her in a seperate pen and she was leaking white, pooping regular after mostly watery poop. One of her legs comes out to the side wrong the other is fine but she is not walking at all, she is at a good weight right now but the move stressed her and she is afraid, What can I do to help her till I can get her to a vet next month. (my pay was cut this month and I can only afford their food and essentials.)

I got a new (she said toulouse but this goose I think is a domestic grayleg she is smaller than my pilgrim and close to Chinese size) goose along with her two companions I was told on the phone she could not walk and was broody and sitting on a nest of her eggs and I was like yeah I can take her on it's probably bumblefoot or osteomylitis, it's muddy here and there's lots of stickerbushes and whatnot. When she got here in the car I saw she pooped regular and laid an egg, on the egg I saw blood which is odd because she is a few years old and laid before but it may have been a bit big for her. I picked her up after that to put her in a seperate pen and she was leaking white, pooping regular after mostly watery poop. One of her legs comes out to the side wrong the other is fine but she is not walking at all, she is at a good weight right now but the move stressed her and she is afraid, What can I do to help her till I can get her to a vet next month. (my pay was cut this month and I can only afford their food and essentials.)
First off bless you for taking on this goose, sounds like she really needs some TLC. Does she have eggs under her since you moved her? Blood is okay if it's just a small amount even with my goose when she first starts laying she can have a little blood on her first egg and she'll be 5 next month.

I'd let her soak in some really nice warm water and let her clean up, check out her leg to see how she uses it in the water. She may just be run down from sitting so long or she may have a nutrient def so good feed and some poultry vitamins [Poultry Nutri drench] is an excellent one.Also some Brewers yeast or Nutritional yeast sprinkled over her feed daily can help with leg problems, 1 tab to each cup of feed daily.

Lets hope with your TLC she'll will be on the mend soon. Keep watch on her poop for anything that looks like yolk which will tell you def something else going on. Also she may need a good worming but a vet can check for parasites when you can afford to take her in. Just now get her system built up.
please keep us updated on how she is doing. @shawnellabella

First off bless you for taking on this goose, sounds like she really needs some TLC.  Does she have eggs under her since you moved her? Blood is okay if it's just a small amount even with my goose when she first starts laying she can have a little blood on her first egg and she'll be 5 next month.

I'd let her soak in some really nice warm water and let her clean up, check out her leg to see how she uses it in the water.  She may just  be run down from sitting so long or she may have a nutrient def  so good feed and some poultry vitamins [Poultry Nutri drench] is an excellent one.Also some Brewers yeast or Nutritional yeast sprinkled over her feed daily can help with leg problems, 1 tab to each cup of feed daily. 

Lets hope with your TLC she'll will be on the mend soon. Keep watch on her poop for anything that looks like yolk which will tell you def something else going on.  Also she may need a good worming but a vet can check for parasites when you can afford to take her in.   Just now get her system built up.

please keep us updated on how she is doing. @shawnellabella

I gave her some nutri-drench and brewers yeast, I also gave her crumble and grass, she was barely eating and only goes for the grass and didn't touch the water. I put her outside where she can see her companions and she like moves like a penguin on their belly and is eating grass an drinking now. If I pull her up she can walk kinda but if she trips it's right back to penguin and the leg that looks like it's in the correct spot and nothing is wrong with it is the one with issues for her, so I see she is obviously in pain but I'm unsure from what then, I do not feel any eggs anymore and her poop is very watery and ranges from a pale green to an extreme dark green I assume from the grass.

I gave her some nutri-drench and brewers yeast, I also gave her crumble and grass, she was barely eating and only goes for the grass and didn't touch the water. I put her outside where she can see her companions and she like moves like a penguin on their belly and is eating grass an drinking now. If I pull her up she can walk kinda but if she trips it's right back to penguin and the leg that looks like it's in the correct spot and nothing is wrong with it is the one with issues for her, so I see she is obviously in pain but I'm unsure from what then, I do not feel any eggs anymore and her poop is very watery and ranges from a pale green to an extreme dark green I assume from the grass.
Geese are grazers so that maybe why she is preferring the grass over anything else. But hopefully she'll get to drinking. She needs to stay hydrated. It may take a while for the brewers yeast and nutri drench to take affect. Especially if she has been this way for some time. So she wasn't broody and sitting on eggs when you got her? She may have been laying down because she couldn't walk and the previous owner just thought she was broody? My goose can have watery poop to green to brown if she has been eating dirt so it's really hard to determine health by looking at poo sometimes. But if you can get her built up with some strength you might want to worm her and the other 2 you got with her. No heat or swelling any where along her leg nothing caught up around the leg where it attaches to her body? Feet look normal top and bottom?

Geese are grazers so that maybe why she is preferring the grass over anything else.  But hopefully she'll get to drinking.  She needs to stay hydrated. It may take a while for the brewers yeast and nutri drench to take affect.  Especially if she has been this way for some time. So she wasn't broody and sitting on eggs when you got her? She may have been laying down because she couldn't walk  and the previous owner just thought she was broody? My goose can have watery poop to green to brown if she has been eating dirt so it's really hard to determine health by looking at poo sometimes.  But if you can get her built up with some strength you might want to worm her and the other 2 you got with her. No heat or swelling any where along her leg nothing caught up around the leg where it attaches to her body? Feet look normal top and bottom?

Okay so since it's legal here and has positively effects on birds, I gave her some cannibas oil mixed with coconut oil the past two days, she is eating like crazy and drinking more, no swelling or heat on her legs but I got her walking and her left leg, the one that looks better than the other is paining her, the medication helps and she is using it more, I think she will be all right but I will keep everyone updated until she is healed. I'm so happy she is progressing.

Okay so since it's legal here and has positively effects on birds, I gave her some cannibas oil mixed with coconut oil the past two days, she is eating like crazy and drinking more, no swelling or heat on her legs but I got her walking and her left leg, the one that looks better than the other is paining her, the medication helps and she is using it more, I think she will be all right but I will keep everyone updated until she is healed. I'm so happy she is progressing.

What a precious pic.

@shawnellabella no telling how long she had been this way since the person you got her from thought she was broody, so your on the right track giving her the TLC she needs right now to heal.

Thank you for updating, your doing great with her.

So she has been walking for about a week, she had a limp but otherwise has fully recovered, she has also put on a decent amount of weight, she spends her time hanging out with her friends now. <3

So she has been walking for about a week, she had a limp but otherwise has fully recovered, she has also put on a decent amount of weight, she spends her time hanging out with her friends now. <3
@shawnellabella That is great news!! Love to hear this and they all look very happy and healthy!!

Back
Top Bottom