1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goose eggs are hatching!! what do i feed them? and a few other ?'s

Discussion in 'Geese' started by momof247371, May 19, 2009.

1. momof247371

momof247371 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    My embden eggs are hatching! Can i feed them chick starter or broiler pellets? How long do they have to stay under the heat lamp? Will they be fine in the brooder with our chickies and ducklings? I know i should have asked along time ago, but this is my first attempt at hatching goose and 4 out of 6 shoud hatch. Didnt think i was going to do so well;) Advise would be appreciated:)

2. Haley_LinckHillPoultry

Haley_LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Morris, PA
    Feed them chick starter, but if it is medicated, feed in small amounts. What goslings do is they gorge on food, and the medication in the chick starter is too much for them to handle if they have too much of it.

I would leave them under the heat lamp until about a month. Usually when the temperate is nice and warm I take mine outside and let them roam around and eat grass.

I would not put them in the brooder with the ducklings and chicks, goslings make a mess of their waterers, and they grow at a faster pace, and when they out grow them they will trample them.

Good luck.

3. momof247371

Feb 18, 2009
    thanks, i do appreciate that. I was also wondering how to sex them(embden geese), or if you can, after they hatch...

4. vkulesh

vkulesh Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2008
    Oakland Twp 48363
    Quote:Just give them water ( shallow pen ) and put them on grass.

5. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    Quote:Generally speaking (although it varies depending on the strain), the darker goslings will be female, and the lighter will be male. However, if you have goslings all of one color, it can be almost impossible to determine whether they are male or female as males can be rather dark.

6. DulcyDoll

DulcyDoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    I have nothing helpful to add...but...I need pictures! lol

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] Congratulations on the goslings! [​IMG]

You are to be commended on your incubating skills, this was your first time hatching goslings, right? And of course I am very proud of their parents, my own Elmer & Gertrude! It's fantastic to think that my pair of geese now have children hatching across the country.

I believe you can vent-sex goslings the same way you can with ducklings. It doesn't have to be done right away, and if done with care doesn't hurt them.

And I think you can feed goslings Purina Flock Raiser, or something like that. I have used that to raise ducklings. It can be given to all sorts of young poultry, chicks, ducks, geese, turkeys. Or regular chick starter, not medicated.
    [​IMG] I'm waiting to see photos!

8. momof247371

Feb 18, 2009
    I will post pics as soon as i can;) Im soo excited:)[​IMG]

9. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Sooo exciting!
    I have an emden girl and I just love her! She is soooo sweet. Everyone says buff's and pilgrims are the best temperment, but I wouldn't trade her!

10. momof247371

Feb 18, 2009
    What did she look like as a brand new gosling?? I am tryin to figure out how to sex mine;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by