Goose Eggs.. temp to 103 degrees

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Saffy, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Saffy

Saffy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2007
    We just set up our incubator last night to hatch some goose eggs. Hubby was taking care of it. When I got up this morning the temp was 103. It is a still air incubator. I'm not sure how long the temp was that high. Do you think the eggs might have lived thru temps that high. Thanks in advance.

2. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Give them a chance, depends how long the temperature was above 101.

Setting any incubator the same day you are putting the eggs in is a bad idea, bator needs to stabilize and show holding constant temperature for minimum 24 hrs.

In case of styrofoam incubators I woud give it a "dry" run for at least 3 days, some people recommend even more.

3. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    I would wait also and candle them after 7-10 days. I hope they're fine and probably they will be. I have heard though that geese eggs should actually be incubated a little lower than chicken eggs. Around 98 degrees I believe. Is this correct from anyone out there who has done it successfully? I have five dewlap Toulouse eggs in my incubator right now at about 99 degrees.
    Good luck...[​IMG]

4. Saffy

Saffy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2007
    Thanks for answering! Hubby said that he went to bed at 2 and the temp was at 99, I was up at 5 and the temp was 103, so the most it could have stayed high would be 3 hours or less. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! My goose lays only every other day, so I would hate to think in one moment , all the work of collecting & turning those eggs are gone. I've hatched chickens & ducks before, this is my first attempt at geese.

5. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I am truly sorry this happened to you!!! [​IMG] I had 14 chicken eggs, and the temp. went up to 120F!!!I do think the eggs will be O.K, because you are using a still air, that is about how warm it should be anyway!!!

P.s candle on day 10, and goooooood luck!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by