Goose eggs vs. duck eggs incubation

amosygal

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
Hello all I posed this on the incubating thread but got no responce,
I'm about to start incubating goose eggs. I've incubated duck eggs in the past and wanted to know if there's any difference between the two (except that goose eggs being bigger
smile.png
). I incubate at about 45% 99.5F and 80% 98.5F at lock-down.
Thanks

I used the link provided above and have had great results following Pete55's hatching guide: 4 goslings out of 6 eggs on my first attempt. It lists temps in Celsius....but I have a forced air and converted those temps to: 99 F until lock-down and as close to 98.6 as I could keep it during lock-down.

As to humidity, until lock-down you will be doing dry incubation with mistings and daily cool down periods after about two weeks. If you don't do this, the egg won't lose enough moisture and it will kill the goslings: I had one die fully developed in its shell due to too much fluid (I think that I had too many eggs in the bator so they didn't all lose enough moisture). If you miss a day with the misting and cool-down it will be okay, just try to do it as regularly as you can.

Anyway, good luck and be sure to post pics when you get babies!

I used the link provided above and have had great results following Pete55's hatching guide: 4 goslings out of 6 eggs on my first attempt. It lists temps in Celsius....but I have a forced air and converted those temps to: 99 F until lock-down and as close to 98.6 as I could keep it during lock-down.

As to humidity, until lock-down you will be doing dry incubation with mistings and daily cool down periods after about two weeks. If you don't do this, the egg won't lose enough moisture and it will kill the goslings: I had one die fully developed in its shell due to too much fluid (I think that I had too many eggs in the bator so they didn't all lose enough moisture). If you miss a day with the misting and cool-down it will be okay, just try to do it as regularly as you can.

Anyway, good luck and be sure to post pics when you get babies!

Thanks, I guess I'll go with pete's advice..

Hi

I would always incubate at a slightly lower temperature for geese and 37.2C is a safe target to aim for. Ducks are often incubated at a slightly higher temperature of 37.5C. However all our Duck eggs are incubated with the goose eggs at 37.2 and we've had very good hatching results.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom