Goose going back to nest

Magriet

Songster
Oct 10, 2020
Pretoria, South Africa
Sorry, I know I am totally clueless! When our goose got up I went to the nest to at least try and make there not any rotten ones, she only has seven. When she saw me she went back to the nest without drinking, eating or bathing. How do I prevent this from happening again, she has become quite agressive hissing a lot, even taking the attacking neck stretched out in front, she does not really attack us. She has been sitting on the eggs for 24 days now. Should I just leave her?
Through a set of circumstances we cannot do anything about we have to keep them there is not enough grass but she refuses to eat anything we offer. There are always water fowl pellets available and yesterday and today we tried kale without any success. I am so afraid she will die! I've heard some horror stories.

Maybe she is more aggressive because she is near hatching them. Twenty-four days is not long enough for any goose eggs to hatch, as far as I know. (Someone here should be able to tell you how many days for your type of goose, and when you need to destroy the nest if no eggs hatch.) Thus, if she has been eating, drinking and bathing, there should be no problem. Does she look well? Are her eyes clear with no drainage? Obviously, don't go near the nest or let her see you when she is off. She very well may be drinking, bathing and eating the pellets when you are not around. Your presence now makes her fear you will take her eggs.

Thanks. I know it's too soon I'm just worried.. She looks ok it is only today that she did not eat or drink while she was up. Today I am noticing her getting up and turning a lot, is that normal? Are 7 eggs too many? As we had no idea if they are fertilized we could not take any away. Candling in our circumstances are impossible.
As I said before we more or less "inheritet" them when we moved in a year ago. These are the first eggs and in our ignorance we were unprepared.

Thanks. I know it's too soon I'm just worried.. She looks ok it is only today that she did not eat or drink while she was up. Today I am noticing her getting up and turning a lot, is that normal? Are 7 eggs too many? As we had no idea if they are fertilized we could not take any away. Candling in our circumstances are impossible.
As I said before we more or less "inheritet" them when we moved in a year ago. These are the first eggs and in our ignorance we were unprepared.
I wouldn't worry. It takes 28-35 days for goose eggs to hatch. Seven eggs don't sound like too many. If she looks okay and you know she is eating, there probably is no problem. Others with more experience with domestic geese hopefully will show up in this thread and give you more advice.

@Magriet, have you already seen this thread by Iain Utah on feeding geese? Offering good quality hay may be an option (along with the waterfowl pellets). I also offer supplemental feed - dry ration plus soaked whole grains - and my geese definitely prefer grass to them. They'll even help themselves to bales of grass hay kept in our barn.

BTW, feel free to ask any questions you may have - there are many helpful people in the BYC community who enjoy sharing what they know. We all start out new to keeping geese at some point, but I doubt that many of us "inherit" a gander who has been mistreated. 🙁

I can tell from your other posts that you care about their wellbeing. Best wishes.

I'll make an assumption that you do have a gander. If not, she is only sitting on duds. Adding a gander does not guarantee fertility as they do typically loose it as they age and from injury.
Her behavior is 100% spot on. She has to be protective for the survival of the goslings. Leave her alone as to not upset her and drive her off the nest. Her not eating is no biggie. I will toss lettuce at the goose so she can reach it without getting up. She'll clean it up when no one is looking.
7 eggs is a nice average clutch. She won't have any trouble keeping up with them.

If the eggs are fertile, I'd leave her well enough alone. Even first time mothers usually know what they are doing. Mine were amazing parents. I did offer a food bowl near the nest she could eat from as she is bad about not getting off the nest. Water is just outside the door so she can get some and plop back down.

We have a gosling!!! Problem is I cannot see what is really happening. I made a big mistake last night as the weather turned very bad suddenly I tried to give her extra protection and that made her totally hysterical so now I have just put some water and pellets close to her. She she hisses something terrible if I get close at all.

Unfortunately we are suddenly having bad weather and because she did not make her nest where we prepared it she is not very protected. I can just hope the gosling will survive, there is nothing I can do. We will make sure to keep as far a distance as possible. Funny enough "dad" is much calmer. He stays close to her but seems quite pleased with himself. He is old so I think he is entitled. Sorry I know I am adding a lot to this tread but I think it is all connected.

Some ganders are better mommas than the real mommas. Be extra careful to not excite the goose. Her big feet easily squash tender hatchlings. Not uncommon to find one flat at the bottom of the nest when she takes the rest on their first outing.
Goslings will eat chick feed readily. If you only have pelleted feed, you might want the mash them slightly to make it smaller and easier to pick up. I will add shredded lettuce at about a week for the babies to pick at.

Back
Top Bottom