Goose going back to nest

Thank you, we tried breaking up the pellets but was not very successful they are amazingly hard. we will go to the only shop we have that stock these kind of feeds and see what they have. Previously when I asked their advice they told me to just break up the pellets a bit but it is not working. If I can get chicken feed that does not have any antibiotics and hormones in them will they do for a start until they move around a little more and eat other food?

You can soften the pellets with water. If you have a coffee grinder, food mill, blender... pulse the feed a little bit as it will be fine. I start my goslings on chick feed, in crumble form, for about a month then switch over to an all flock feed to simply feeding as this is when they usually start assimilating with the flock.

Once that little hatching starts talking to mama from inside the shell the whole world comes to a halt. Geese start communicating with there parents around day 18 of the hatch by rolling in the shell when they hear there parents. Is totally normal for a goose to not want or need to leave there nest sometimes for days at a time. Its like a meditation period for them or trance. (think of bears going into hibernation) When she is really needing food or water she will get it. I just give them water and lots of hay close by they can also use to nest with close by. The hay helps in to ways it gives here a little more nesting material she can use to cover her eggs to protect them so she can leave. The other issue may be the gander dont remove him he is important but it dose help to take him and any other geese hanging around away from the nest for a little while so she dose not fear him taking over her nest.
I dont mean to go on but Geese are built for this goose or ganders and are very protective of there nests and eggs. My girls will clear the barn with a loud bellow until all the other geese leave the nesting area except there mate before they will lay there egg.
Funny story my 2 girls last year hatched together when the babies were hatched to one they both raised the 4 together I took the 4 remaining eggs that were a week away from hatching into the house and hatched them in a incubator. when the ones I hatched were 2 weeks old I took them out to meet the other babies and my 2 girls stole them and put them in there clutch.
Have fun with the new babies

Once that little hatching starts talking to mama from inside the shell the whole world comes to a halt. Geese start communicating with there parents around day 18 of the hatch by rolling in the shell when they hear there parents. Is totally normal for a goose to not want or need to leave there nest sometimes for days at a time. Its like a meditation period for them or trance. (think of bears going into hibernation) When she is really needing food or water she will get it. I just give them water and lots of hay close by they can also use to nest with close by. The hay helps in to ways it gives here a little more nesting material she can use to cover her eggs to protect them so she can leave. The other issue may be the gander dont remove him he is important but it dose help to take him and any other geese hanging around away from the nest for a little while so she dose not fear him taking over her nest.
I dont mean to go on but Geese are built for this goose or ganders and are very protective of there nests and eggs. My girls will clear the barn with a loud bellow until all the other geese leave the nesting area except there mate before they will lay there egg.
Funny story my 2 girls last year hatched together when the babies were hatched to one they both raised the 4 together I took the 4 remaining eggs that were a week away from hatching into the house and hatched them in a incubator. when the ones I hatched were 2 weeks old I took them out to meet the other babies and my 2 girls stole them and put them in there clutch.
Have fun with the new babies
Yes, but they don't always get food and water when they really need it. Some geese literally die on the nest, or next to it, because they won't get off enough to eat and drink and bathe. They do need to be watched that their health is not deteriorating; that they are not sitting on rotten eggs, which release hazardous fumes; and that they are not allowed to sit past so many days, when it's obvious no egg will be hatching.

Yes, but they don't always get food and water when they really need it. Some geese literally die on the nest, or next to it, because they won't get off enough to eat and drink and bathe. They do need to be watched that their health is not deteriorating; that they are not sitting on rotten eggs, which release hazardous fumes; and that they are not allowed to sit past so many days, when it's obvious no egg will be hatching.
I understand Baby geese dont need food or water for the first 24-48 hours they got all they need from the egg and usually just rest.

I understand Baby geese dont need food or water for the first 24-48 hours they got all they need from the egg and usually just rest.
Oh, I was talking about the mother goose. I know of park geese who died because they stopped getting off the nest regularly to eat, drink and bathe. They sat on eggs way past their hatch date, or got fatal maggot infested wounds on their stomach areas from not bathing and sitting on rotten eggs. They got bad scrapes and the flies were attracted to the rotten eggs, and laid maggot eggs on the mother's wounds.

I see four, it may be five she really hides them and dad takes his job very seriously! there is one egg still in the nest. It may be the last one she laid so I'll give it a day or two and then remove it. I do not know where the other eggs are! There were seven eggs.

Back
Top Bottom