Goose head injury with photo

CoconutCoffee

Songster
Oct 27, 2021
Eastern NC
Not sure what happened to him but I saw his head covered in blood when I went outside. He seems a bit dazed and I have him inside now. I've cleaned him up a bit and the bleeding seems to have stopped. I used vetericyn antimicrobial spray and neosporin (without pain relief). Is there anything else I can do? Not used to injuries and he's one of my first geese. I'm worried hes going to die

Attachments

• 20230823_170437.jpg
    20230823_170437.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 31
Sorry about your goose. I would keep him in a dim and quiet room. I know nothing about geese, but with most poultry you would want to offer some electrolytes or sugar water for shock. You may be able to prop him on some rolled towels to help keep him comfortable. Do you think a hawk or other predator got to him? Tomorrow, you might be able to look better at the wound to see how deep it is. There is a goose forum above under Forums to post there as well. Let us know how he is tomorrow.

Sorry about your goose. I would keep him in a dim and quiet room. I know nothing about geese, but with most poultry you would want to offer some electrolytes or sugar water for shock. You may be able to prop him on some rolled towels to help keep him comfortable. Do you think a hawk or other predator got to him? Tomorrow, you might be able to look better at the wound to see how deep it is. There is a goose forum above under Forums to post there as well. Let us know how he is tomorrow.
I did try to give him some sugar water but he only drank a little. I ended up taking him to the vet as the wound looked deep and the injuries i have dealt with werent from predator attacks. They said it looks like a bite mark from what they could see before cleaning everything up. I'm unsure from what tho. Maybe it was a hawk as the other side of his head had a single gash. I'll find out more tomorrow

Edit:
Vet just called and said she thinks it may have been a weasel as it was many tiny bite marks. He also had some lacerations under both wings. Weasels have never been on my radar as possible predators in the entire time I've had poultry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom