Chickens eating butt of rooster

Quail_

Chirping
Apr 8, 2023
My silkie rooster is the big man at my coop, and he got an injury on his butt. It seems to be a blood feather but I dont how to keep him from being eaten alive from his girls.

As much as i say i hate him, hes my baby, he is the last surviving chicken from my first batch of chicks and I dont want him to be hurt. I sprayed a wound spray on it to prevent any infection and did my best to wipe any blood away from it.

He is currently separated from the rest of his flock, in his old brooder but im attempting to steal a dog kennel for him to be more safe

Attachments

• 20231216_131933.jpg
    20231216_131933.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 52
How big is your coop? What is their diet

10 by 10 area, we recently removed a small run that was inside of it.

A layer max and a egg max pellet Scratch is given everyday occasionally given meal worms and eggs as a treat

The area is small and will be expanded to be 20 by 20 when its warmer

10 by 10 area, we recently removed a small run that was inside of it.

A layer max and a egg max pellet Scratch is given everyday occasionally given meal worms and eggs as a treat

The area is small and will be expanded to be 20 by 20 when its warmer
Cut out the scratch and get a higher protein feed since egg Maxx has too low protein for your girls and too high calcium for your boy.

A grower feed or an all flock feed, I sometimes use meatbird or gamebird layer. Just throw oyster shells out for your girls to eat for calcium
Ok thank you! I just gave evryone meal worms and three eggs. I never realized how much protein chickens needed, thank you so much!

My silkie rooster is the big man at my coop, and he got an injury on his butt. It seems to be a blood feather but I dont how to keep him from being eaten alive from his girls.

As much as i say i hate him, hes my baby, he is the last surviving chicken from my first batch of chicks and I dont want him to be hurt. I sprayed a wound spray on it to prevent any infection and did my best to wipe any blood away from it.

He is currently separated from the rest of his flock, in his old brooder but im attempting to steal a dog kennel for him to be more safe
Were they actively pecking at him? And what wound spray did you use?

Ok thank you! I just gave evryone meal worms and three eggs. I never realized how much protein chickens needed, thank you so much!
Youre welcome. 16% is a number come up with decades ago, its the minimum amount of protein they could eat and still be productive, i believe in feed atleast 18%. Mealworm are mostly fat, so those are still treats for occasions.

Were they actively pecking at him? And what wound spray did you use?
I only saw one wirh blood on her beak. I sprayed his wound with Vetericyn wound spray, i then went out and bought a spray that i dont remember the top of my head off but once i get home ill tell you.

Back
Top Bottom