Goose Incubation & Hatching Guide - Completed!!!!

Pics
Quote:
we come from 2 different worlds my dry incubation now is 45% lol dry incubation can vary quite a bit. just always ask what someone percent is with there dry incubation. i do a dry no less than 30% in but everyone varys. a month ago my dry was running 35%. i am trying a test run letting it flex naturally through out until lockdown . just to see what happens. i have silkie, marans eggs runner eggs and goose eggs this go round.

I just want to give a big "THANK YOU" to pete55 for this thread. Thanks to you, pete, I now have 2 little darlings (saddleback pomeranian goslings). I've never hatched waterfowl of any kind, and without the step by step information given in this thread, I seriously doubt that these babies would be alive. I followed the posts and pictures all the way through and this is what pete's hard work got me:
13587_hpim1910.jpg

And if one of these goslings is a boy, then it will be named "Pete".
big_smile.png
thumbsup.gif

Thank you Shelley - very kind of you and appreciated.

They're adorable little cuties and makes the hard work worthwhile. Im so pleased the guide helped you get your babies.

CONGRATULATIONS AND WELL DONE
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif

Many thanks again for your thanks - I really do appreicate it
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Pete
wink.png

Hi Windsor

Well try and negotiate for more eggs to increase your chances of hatching a few out. A 3 hour drive is a long long way for 4 eggs (though I've done far worse to get what I want)
wink.png
Make sure you have your incubator running some days before you go to iron out temperature variations.

I would go for at least 6 eggs if possible. Simply take a good sized box and fill with clean pine shavings. Lay each egg in the box on its side and bury in the shaving until just the surface of the egg is showing. For best results leave at least a 1" space between the eggs. The shavings will protect the eggs for jolts and jarring. Keep your car cool and try to drive home carefully. Once home unpack the eggs, blow the dust from them then weigh and mark them. Leave for 6 hours to settle then set them in your incubator. By collecting yourself you'll see the adult stock and your eggs will have agreatly increased chance of hatching.

Pete
wink.png

You are awesome!!!

Thank you for this post. I am actually proud of myself, a wonderful BYCer allowed me to attempt to hatch some of her goose eggs (Thank you so very very much, redhen!). Just for grins and giggles, I weighed them before placing them in the incubator. The other day when I tried to candle them, I weighed them again and became depressed because they lost weight. I thought that was a bad thing. I placed them back in (I'm an optimist, I guess - I'll wait forever before giving up on an egg). Now, I see that it is normal to loose weight. Yay!!!

Thanks for all your effort to explain this so clearly. I look forward to finding your article. Now, if I can just figure out how to get you to autograph it for me.......

I am now looking forward to going home and trying to candle my eggs again.
smile.png

bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

Hi BorderKelpie

Thats so very kind of you but in all honesty I simply enjoy incubation and Im happy to share information with others. If you look just below my Avatar picture and click the link to 'View My BYC Page' then you'll find links to other threads that you may have missed but find helpful.

Do keep me posted how your aggs are doing
smile.png

Pete
wink.png

Without this thread, I probably would've have a nervous breakdown myself.
lau.gif
A good friend gave me the 2 saddleback pom eggs for me to EAT. But I can't even eat my duck eggs...just the thought of it makes me gag.
sickbyc.gif
She told me the eggs were "old" in regards to hatching. After they sat on my counter for a week, I decided to put them in the incubator and give it a try. My friend told me that she can't hatch goose eggs...just too difficult. Well...imagine her surprise when I told her what I have!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom