Goose Incubation & Hatching Guide - Completed!!!!

Hope to see some precious gosling come May 10.
Candled them today for the first time after setting them in, 4 fertile, two non viable ones, I'm pretty happy with how itsi turning up, even two little goslings hatching would already make me happy since this is my first time incubating waterfowl :), I've never done it cause I've always been scared of the long incubation periods ahah, finally I got some courage and did it :)

I have a question. When you are to the point of cooling and misting the eggs, do you cool them first for 5 minutes and then mist and immediately close the incubator back up? Or do you mist first then cool, then close it back up? I'm a bit rusty.

I have a question. When you are to the point of cooling and misting the eggs, do you cool them first for 5 minutes and then mist and immediately close the incubator back up? Or do you mist first then cool, then close it back up? I'm a bit rusty.
i let them cool for 15 minutes a day after day 10, i mist before putting the lid back on, the umidity won't be impacted for more than a couple hours, after which i turn my humidity regulator's pump back again, my bator's instruction have "do not mist eggs before they have cooled down" in bold, couldn't find any reason as to why, but i still follow the instructions to be sure lol

What a great and comprehensive article! I have a question. We live in an urban area where there are a lot of wild geese. A while ago we spotted a goose sitting on a nest on the banks of a man-made lake in an industrial park, near a busy road. I've visited a few times just to watch Mother Goose on the nest (with Father Goose close by keeping me a good distance away). I last drove by (but didn't stop) this past Friday and saw her still sitting. Today I drove by again and didn't see her. So I pulled in and parked the car and walked over. The entire nest was gone. All the geese were gone from the lake, and there was an eviscerated goose lying on the lawn. There were two empty eggshells and one intact egg. I don't know why, but I really felt the need to "rescue" that egg, even though I'm assuming it's past saving. I currently have the egg in a dishtowel nest in my mudroom, under an incandescent light. How can I tell if this egg is viable? Is there any way to know if the chick inside is still alive? I know this is a long shot, but I just can't bring myself to abandon this egg if there's any hope at all. Thanks.

This thread and original explanation is SO GREAT. Thank you so much!! I had 3 Cotton Patch goose eggs shipped; one cracked during shipment, one never developed, and one is due todayish! I just candled and saw some of the shadowing and movement. I am nervous and hopeful at the same time! My Toulouse has been incubating them for me. She is so amazing. Fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom