Goose injury? Trouble breathing

kirruu

Hatching
Feb 25, 2021
Found her sitting down in the run, about a year old. No obvious deep injuries, but some feathers are missing, so I'm not excluding some level of throat injury. She's having problems breathing, breathes in, waits a second, breathes out with a light click. It's loud breathing. Not eating, not drinking, other than what I put in her beak, but no other symptoms. Eyes clear, beak clear, she's alert and aware and walks if she has to. Everyone else is healthy, never had a problem in the flock. She has full mobility of the neck. Any ideas? What can I do to help her?

Not sure what has happened to your goose but you need to make sure she is getting fluids until you know. Might be worth keeping a syringe handy to give her water??

Yearling female, this time of year, I'd be concerned about laying issues. I'd offer her a bowl of crushed eggshells, and make sure she always has a small bucket of fresh water nearby for her.

Good luck!

Her breathing is easier, I saw her drink last night and nibble on some food. I'm pretty sure it's throat injury at this point. Yes, I gave her water with a dropper through the day. There are no visible wounds, nor is she showing any symptoms of any kind. She's walking, talking, eyes bright, clear and alert. No abdominal pain nor did I feel anything weird in there. Crop isn't hard or full. So I'm going to go with throat injury. Just gotta wait it out. Shes hanging on the couch with us during the day, sleeping in the bathtub at night.

@Anyone

What is a normal sound for the inside of a goose to make? I "Acquired" a stethescope from work just incase i ever need to listen and was curious what "good" and "Bad" sounds i should be listening for.

@Anyone

What is a normal sound for the inside of a goose to make? I "Acquired" a stethescope from work just incase i ever need to listen and was curious what "good" and "Bad" sounds i should be listening for.
Just hope you don't get a honk while you're listening, you'll be scraping your brain from the wall. Xd

Is the clicking still there?
It's getting better, slowly. I fed her some liquid diet tonight with green vibrance added, with a syringe, she ate it all without any issues or trying to shake it out of her mouth. She is drinking on her own now. But I haven't seen her eat much. She's still alert and no other symptoms. Her breathing is definitely less labored.

Back
Top Bottom