Goose leg issue

sirrobyn0

Songster
8 Years
Feb 1, 2015
Pacific Northwest
I'm really not sure I should post this in the medical thread or the goose thread. Admin is welcome to move it if desired.

So I have a 2 year old Chinese Goose that started limping a while ago. We noticed that the knee joint was swollen to about twice the normal size, so for a while now, maybe a month or more, we have been putting a homemade sav on it and wrapping it. All the while it's been getting worse. To the point now where she won't even put the foot down and it seems painful to stretch it out. We just noticed that one of the tendons is on the inside of the knee joint and seems quite swollen. I'm sorry I'm at work right now and don't have a picture, but if a few of you wanted to give me some ideas and symptoms of what it might be that would be really great. Thanks.

I don’t have experience with geese, but it sound like she has a tendon or ligament injury, if the swelling is in only one leg. Resting the leg might help to reduce swelling. Anti-inflammatory medicines given in feed or water could help. Meloxicam is a popular one used by vets. Aspirin is sometimes used for 2-3 days, but repeated use may cause intestinal bleeding. I would also post in the geese thread.

There's some information here that you may find helpful. If you haven't already ruled out bumblefoot, I'd check her foot carefully to ensure that's not the source of the problem.
Thanks for the link. I have dealt with bumble foot in the past and this is definitely not bumble foot as the swelling vis in the knee joint and the foot looks perfectly normal.

I don’t have experience with geese, but it sound like she has a tendon or ligament injury, if the swelling is in only one leg. Resting the leg might help to reduce swelling. Anti-inflammatory medicines given in feed or water could help. Meloxicam is a popular one used by vets. Aspirin is sometimes used for 2-3 days, but repeated use may cause intestinal bleeding. I would also post in the geese thread.
Thanks, Yes I did post later in the day in the Geese thread and have gotten a few ideas there too. This is what I think it is but I'm having a hard time confirming it. I need to somehow confirm it and then come up with a treatment plan hopefully something I can reasonably do at home.

Back
Top Bottom