Goose loves me - hates my girlfriend (and the bin)

Interesting theory Skipper81. Are there any other Rebeccas out there who can add weight to this? Be brave - it's for science!

These creatures definitely have senses that we don't I'm sure of it. I've been outside in full waterproofs complete with hood wrapped around my chin and cheeks and Biggles still knows it's me. We've thought about putting our beekeeping outfits on to see which one he attacks. We must do this today.

We'd struggle if the ducks and geese put on different color coats and shoes each day and sometimes tied their hair back or had it loose, had a winter beard or otherwise. They look identical from day to day so we know who they are but we must look very different yet they know it's still us and not a visiting friend. This situation with Biggles is new and so we haven't had friends over to see how he reacts with others but we might struggle to have them back if he does the full Rocky on them.

She went out alone to give him a treat he threw it on the ground and went into attack mode I can't believe how tough he is.
My rooster hopped on his back the other day tried to mate with him and he didn't do a darn thing so hes a sweetheart to all but the wife. Please let me know how the beekeeper outfit experiment works.

Bringing a female goose into a bunch of ganders would not be a good idea. I don't think anyway. She'll have so many suitors and they will most likely fight over her. At Biggies age that would not be a good thing.
Breeding season is a hard time for ganders their hormones get the best of them. We have a great goose training thread here I'll get it for you. or rather for Rebecca. lol

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/geese-training.561849/

Thanks Miss Lydia,

I shall read the training shortly. Cheers!

It is a bunch of ganders, agreed, but different breeds - does that make things different?

We have 2 mail Canada geese, one of which dotes on an Aylesbury female and they make a lovely couple. The other Canadian came to us with angel wing and doesn't show any aggression to anything - or desires of love.

The 2 Greylags can be mildly feisty and chase off Biggles if he gets on their patch but it's head down and run at type feisting rather than bites and flaps. Biggles is twice their size but still leaves the scene promptly.

Would another female Embden be considered a possible girlfriend to any of these 4 non Embden ganders? I 'm aware that domesticated geese derive from greylags and there everyday chatter noise is very similar to Biggles - except when he starts to honk and bellow and you basically have to leave the town it's that loud. Perhaps their origins being greylag is enough to consider any related goose as fair game (no pun intended.)

We've gained plenty of experience with regards to ducks, but geese and their temperament - sex or otherwise is somewhat uncharted territory.

I'm thinking any gander would be interested in a Embden female if brought there. I think all could and would try and mate with her and could bring in viable goslings. Not sure about the Egyptians?

It would be nice for Biggie to have a friend just not sure it would be fair for her.

Thanks. We won't be rushing into a decision without solid knowledge learned from those more familiar than ourselves. I would rather Biggles buddied up with the 2 greylags - perhaps they will over time.

I wouldn't allow the domestics to breed as we want to be in control of the numbers except wild ones - they can do as they wish as they'll fly off if they're not happy.

Indeed - removing the eggs. I can't stop them mating - but creating goslings I can.

Thanks Ravynscroft. He sits for much of the day on the decking by the pond which has large sliding glass doors and so he can see his reflection - although I've not considered him to be fooled or attracted by the image.

We had some friends round today and he was a little snappy towards them. We have found that the birds require time to settle when bringing new ones in. We're hoping he'll calm. If he was attacking me as well we'd be more concerned - clearly he's not totally aggressive - just selectively so we need to narrow that down to rarely.

I think Miss Lydia is right, introducing a single goose among all those ganders could go very wrong. I didn't realize they were all ganders. Also I think she's right on the "Rebecca-training". If your girlfriend has shown any signs of backing off from Biggles, his instinct is to perceive her as a threat that can be chased away. And every time it happens, it reinforces this perception of her - and probably also all other people he doesn't know.

I don't think the beekeeping outfits will work. My goose recognizes one of my friends just from the sound of his step and will start loudly greeting him long before she can see him. I'm also sure she recognizes posture, gait, and shape of the people she know. Once in a blue moon she'll make a mistake and happily run to greet someone she doesn't know - and she'll come to a screeching halt when she gets closer and realizes her error.

Back
Top Bottom