Goose loves me - hates my girlfriend (and the bin)

cheesy

Chirping
7 Years
May 23, 2015
Hi there,

Sorry for the long post - I need to put some background detail before I explain the problem.

We've recently acquired an 18 year old Embden gander (although he weighs 7.3KG and I gather they're supposed to be heavier - he looks like one and is significantly larger than the other geese that live here.) He showed no behavioral problems in the first few days and came with a male Aylesbury cross that had lived together for several years. They were quite a sweet little 'n' large friendship although on day 2 the Aylesbury cross buddied up with our female white campbell and so has left the Embden (I'll refer to him as Biggles from now on - I kept saying big goose to him and that sounded similar) to do his own thing. We have several different breeds of geese and ducks here although all the resident geese are male (Greylag and Canada) and whilst half his size - they can chase him and he'll run immediately with apparent fear of them. Geese chasing aside, he sits around the place, eats grass occasionally and enjoys coming in to snack on mixed grains rather than use the feeders around the ponds. He'll have a good swim, enjoy the safe surroundings but doesn't socialize. I have a few years experience of living amongst fowl but the wild and resident geese do a lot more walking about and nibbling. Perhaps it's his senior years that makes him not wish to wander to far from his chosen seating areas.

Background done - I work from home and whenever I walk past him I tend to say hello, rub his chest and ask if he's ok and all that. He appears on occasion to do what I assume is a courtship ritual of lowering his head to the ground and rubbing the side of his head on the ground before lifting and repeating but on the other side. He sometimes if I crouch down tries to climb onto my legs which I stop and have considered this as an amorous act which I of course don't want to confuse him - or have goose feet on my jeans. I've not experienced this with the other geese here, two of our greylags are like little dogs and are incredibly tame but without peculiar behavior.

Again, he was fine on the first few days of being here but nowadays he wants to attack my girlfriend and with malice in his eyes. He bites and whacks her with much aggression. We've dressed her up with thick clothes, boots and gloves and made sure she commands the position and pushes Biggles away whilst looking tall and large but to no avail. She can wear my boots and Biggles will bite away at them and get quite angry whilst doing so. She can take them off, I put them on - he's fine and calm. Oh - and earlier I pulled the blue wheelie bin back to the house and Biggles went crazy - wings out beating back and forth on the plastic yet was fine when I put the bin down and walked away from it.

What should we do to calm this bonkers goose please? We have set the environment up here as a wildlife sanctuary with the aside benefit of domestic duck/muscovy eggs as opposed to being a proper farm so the oven is not an option. The dynamic with all the breeds is mostly harmonious but we weren't expecting the problem to be between bird and human.

Thanks for reading - and for any help you can offer.

Graham

Attachments

• IMG_20180216_151304.jpg
    IMG_20180216_151304.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 58
Bringing a female goose into a bunch of ganders would not be a good idea. I don't think anyway. She'll have so many suitors and they will most likely fight over her. At Biggies age that would not be a good thing.
Breeding season is a hard time for ganders their hormones get the best of them. We have a great goose training thread here I'll get it for you. or rather for Rebecca. lol

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/geese-training.561849/

Thanks. We won't be rushing into a decision without solid knowledge learned from those more familiar than ourselves. I would rather Biggles buddied up with the 2 greylags - perhaps they will over time.

I wouldn't allow the domestics to breed as we want to be in control of the numbers except wild ones - they can do as they wish as they'll fly off if they're not happy.

I do feel for your girlfriend as I’m sure a goose vengeance isn’t pleasant.... but, may I also just say aweeeeeee. He has decided that you are basically his girlfriend and anything that is near you (besides him) needs to go because it might take you. I don’t have a ton of experience with a gander acting like this as mine doesn’t do this. I do hope someone can help you though.. best of luck.

It really does sound like you're his chosen one. It's breeding season, so chances are he might be like this only for a few months of the year - maybe you (or rather your girlfriend) can live with that?

Another option could be getting him a real goose as his girlfriend. Do you know his history - has he ever been around other geese, or was he imprinted on humans only?

I once had two ganders who got along beautifully until Spring, when one of them fell in love with his own reflection in the window. He'd park in front of the window and spend all day trying to lure the love of his life out on the lawn - unless the other gander got too close, then he'd viciously attack him and try to chase him out of the yard. When it finally dawned on me what the problem was, I covered all goose-height windows, and the two ganders were friends again within half an hour. So another solution could be you staying totally away and out of sight from him. Probably the most impractical solution ...

Regarding him not being as active as the other geese: I think you're right about his age being an issue. Embden geese have been bred for weight, not for longevity. Many domestic geese are built to be too heavy for their frames, so he might have stiff or achy joints from supporting all that weight. Due to her co-owner being way too generous with treats, my own Embden-type goose has gained weight during this winter and now weighs more than 8 kg. She normally weighs between 6 and 7 kg., and she's now way slower than usual, and she can't keep up with me when we go for a walk. She's only 5 years old, so I've (again) dictated a strict diet for her. I don't think your goose looks overweight at all, but his legs are probably beginning to show some mild signs of wear/osteoarthritis.

I'm sorry, but I did get a good laugh out of your very vivid description :) Oh, your poor girlfriend. And your poor pant leg!
I agree with Lamaremybabies that he appears to be in love with you.
My only thought is, and I'm sorry if I missed it, do you know anything about where he came from? Is he used to being around women?

Back
Top Bottom