goose mating with duck?

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
3 days ago, on sunday my goose Delilah, laid her very first egg
celebrate.gif
. Since she laid her egg she's had a change in personality being a little more bossy toward everyone especially our dogs. Yesterday I went outside and saw Delilah standing on top of my duck. I assumed, because she is very clumsy, that she was just walking over the duck (she doesn't watch what she steps on and often will step on other birds). Today I put out a pan of water and she and my duck came running over. Next thing I know the goose is standing on the duck appearing to be trying to mate
hmm.png

I know that sometimes ganders will try to mate with ducks, but my goose is a female (the duck is too)
hu.gif
I never thought that a female goose would try to do this
idunno.gif

Anyone ever had one of there geese do this?

I've seen my male Embden mating with my female Pekin duck. I've never seen the female goose going for the drake, though. However, I imagine they'll take whatever's available, who know! Animals are pretty indiscriminate sometimes. My rams are always trying to breed my goats, too.

Oh wait!!! Please don't tell me that my male Super African Gander will mate with my Muscovy ducks.....I just posted something along these lines on the duck form....I let my ducks out of the hen house and the Gander that lost his mate 2 yrs. ago will not let the Drake near the hens, he is on constant guard of them...... UGHHHHH!! Please say it ain't so....Please.

Thankfully I never had that problem. I had geese, ducks, and chickens that used to freerange together and the only "mixing" I saw was bantam and standard chickens (and they are all chickens and can produce fertile offspring). I've heard of it many times from both ganders after ducks, and drakes after hens especially.

What concerns me is ... With the gander's anatomy ... Couldn't a duck be injured?

I suspect drowning might also be possible. Now that I DID worry about -- especially when my drakes would take turns with a duck.

I'm just guessing here though. If it were my birds doing that, I'd separate them.

I have a drake who gets on top on my setting goose. Goes into her house numerous times a day. She sets up a racket and I chase his away. Worthless gander of hers just lets it happen. My drake is a large appleyard but the gander is still much bigger.

Most same sex mating acts is to show dominance. happens in most animals.
When a female mounts a male it is an attempt to sitiulate the male. We all know what happens the other way around LOL
Your Male birds my very well mount other female birds but genitics keep anything from happening.

I was so glad to find your email. I have no one to turn too. My Female Goose is simulating mating with my ducks. Every day my 2 female ducks and 2 Geese, 1 male - 1 female get let out of the coop at 7am. Immediately after their morning snacks, the 2 female ducks run to the fenced in Creek and jump in. Both try to play, " Helpless duck" ( Thats what I call it. They stretch their necks out and do this call...Then the female goose (Gracie) steps on top of them..like putting their heads under water..And nips their necks.....My husband swears the Gracie is a male...But I've had both Geese since they were a day old...The Male ( Butterball), is huge..big head, thick neck...and gets aggressive if strangers come near me...Gracie is elegant long neck about 2-3 lbs smaller, and stands behind Butterball when there are strangers and is not aggressive..So I'm pretty sure that I have 1 Male Goose and 1 Female goose..But why is the female simulating the sex? I'm so confused...

I was so glad to find your email. I have no one to turn too. My Female Goose is simulating mating with my ducks. Every day my 2 female ducks and 2 Geese, 1 male - 1 female get let out of the coop at 7am. Immediately after their morning snacks, the 2 female ducks run to the fenced in Creek and jump in. Both try to play, " Helpless duck" ( Thats what I call it. They stretch their necks out and do this call...Then the female goose (Gracie) steps on top of them..like putting their heads under water..And nips their necks.....My husband swears the Gracie is a male...But I've had both Geese since they were a day old...The Male ( Butterball), is huge..big head, thick neck...and gets aggressive if strangers come near me...Gracie is elegant long neck about 2-3 lbs smaller, and stands behind Butterball when there are strangers and is not aggressive..So I'm pretty sure that I have 1 Male Goose and 1 Female goose..But why is the female simulating the sex? I'm so confused...
My female Toulouse does this with my female ducks. It's natural for females in the water fowl dept to do this with each other It's when the gander joins in I get nervous and that is usually during breeding season for geese. Feb thru May. I separate my geese from the ducks during most of this because I worry they will drown one of the ducks since both hold her down.@snowfun

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom