Goose mating with my duck?

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

My chinese goose drowend 2 of my ducks doing the exact same think and plucked the feathers off another one trying to mate with it before i could pull him off. so be weary is all i can say

One needs to realize that bird genetics are VERY different from mammalian genetics, which is what we are taught in school. Yes, there are numerous instances of mallard-type ducks hybridizing with Anser-type geese (Chinese geese are a domestic version of Anser cygnoides), as well as Anser cygnoides hybridizing with muscovies in captivity.

Also, with birds, the number of chromosomes doesn't necessarily mean thewy cannot hybridize. Look at the karyotype paper published in Japan in 1946. He has VERY good karyotypes of alot of waterfowl with different chromosome numbers that have been reported to hybridize, such as wood duck x mandarin. May not happen oftenb, but has been reported.

Clint

Clint,
I agree with your post up to the point where you mentioned the Aix hybrids. In 20 years of searching, I have yet to come across substantive proof of a A. galericulata hybrid. I'd be curious to know what journal articles you're citing on that one.
pop.gif

DT

Last edited:
Quote:
Clint- We are talking about a Goose being able to insiminate with a duck, CAN'T HAPPEN! U are talking about a certain kind of breed of duck mating with another breed of duck and coming out with a hybrid mix. U cannot cross a species of one animal with another species. For instance, a human cannot insiminate a monkey and end up with a whole different mammmal (like a Hunkey) for lack of a better name for a non-exsistant entity. I am aware the the genetics of birds is very different than mammalian genetics (that obvious) But just because a bird has a different number of chromosomes does not mean it can morph into something else and breed.
I too would like to see the scientific proof, and articles where it says that you can cross-populate(again for lack of a better term).
Im With Dr. Todd on this one:)
Thanks,
T.

Quote:
Clint- We are talking about a Goose being able to insiminate with a duck, CAN'T HAPPEN! U are talking about a certain kind of breed of duck mating with another breed of duck and come out with a hybrid mix. U cannot cross a species of one animal with another species. For instance, a human cannot insiminate a monkey and end up with a whole different mammmal (like a Hunkey) for lack of a better name for a non-exsistant entity. I am aware the the genetics of birds is very different than mammalian genetics (that obvious) But just because a bird has a different number of chromosomes does not mean it can morph into something else and breed.
I too would like to see the scientific proof, and articles where it says that you can cross-populate(again for lack of a better term).
Im With Dr. Todd on this one:)
Thanks,
T.

READ THIS: Q: Can geese & ducks mate and produce offspring?

A: no
ducks and geese, although able to breed, are unable to produce offspring due to different chromosome numbers (same species and interbreedable species have the same number of chromosomes, this produces viable, fertile offspring).

basically what you have between your duck and geese is the very common species barrier, rendering it impossible for the duck and geese to have offspring, but it is not impossible for them to mate.

Another thing, having experience with this myself, except it was a duck and a pelican, the duck will lay eggs, that's what they do, they've mated and figure they should, but none of the eggs will be fertilized unless another boy duck snuck in one night.

A horse and donkey can gowever. Horses and donkeys can interbreed to form a mule, but the mule has an odd number of chromosomes. Horses have 64 chromosomes, giving 32 in a gamete to a mule, whereas donkeys have 62 chromosomes, giving 31 in a gamete to a mule.

The thing that keeps mules from reproducing is the fact that they have 63 chromosomes and are therefore incapable of making gametes (sex chromosomes that have half the chromosome count) because 63 is not evenly divided by 2. they can mate just fine, but they cannot create viable sex cells (eggs and sperm). Some also believe that this hybrid cross is infertile because the chromosomes line up incorrectly, completely stopping the spermatogenesis process (the process that creates sperm).

There u have a logical explaination. Hope no more confusion.

Last edited:
Quote:
My thoughts exactly but about more tea... BTW, your name is HYSTERICAL!!!!!
bow.gif
I laughed so loud, my ducks all ran over to see what was going on inside the house...
lol.png
I'm so using that next time my husband calls me crazy about ducks and geese.

Back
Top Bottom