Goose mum to be

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Warthog, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Warthog

Warthog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Belize
    I am looking to get a couple of geese, 1 goose and 1 gander to start with, I have been looking through this forum, but if you all could answer some questions for me it would be really good.

Can geese live happily with chickens.

If they free range during the day, are they easy to get back to their pen for the night.

Can they eat the same food as the chikens.

How do they get on with other animal, dogs, cats, goats and sheep.

Are there and regular medications they require.

What age to they start laying.

Do they fly away - do I need to clip their wings and if so how often

Do they need water, a pond, river or whatever.

Sorry for all these questions, I am still reading through this forum and other web sites. But I know absolutely nothing about geese and would like to get it right.

Thanks in advance.

2. Puddle Foot Farm

Puddle Foot Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Quote:Hope I helped and good luck!

3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    My geese

(1) get along well with my chickens once the chickens learn to give them a wide berth.

(2) were a pain to get in the pen at night at first but now all they have to do is see me coming and they head for their door. get some long bamboo sticks to help herd them in the beginning.

(3) I feed mine Mizouri Waterfowl feed.

(4) don't know about other animals but mine aren't fond of teenagers. They probably heard me talkin

(5) only if sick or injured.

(6) Mine started laying at just under one year but the eggs were not fertile

(7) Mine haven't tried to fly. They are mini Oregon geese.

(8) They love to swim. We put in a pond with a fiberglass liner. They prefer the puddle where the sprinkler run-off stands. This is the puddle!

[​IMG]

4. Warthog

Warthog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2009
    Belize
    The Warden and Puddle Foot Farm, thank you both for your replies. [​IMG]

I am going to start with just two geese Male and Female and take it from there, I just have to source some, and certainly don't know what breed they would be, most of everything in Belize is crossbred, so we will see.

When geese are foraging, what do they eat.

I believe they eat grass, do they eat weeds, insects, frogs, snakes etc, much like chickens?

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    geese are vegetarians. They mostly graze on grass. They may eat a few weeds but don't count on it. Mostly the like grass.

6. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Geese are mainly herbivores, they might eat a bug now and then but live on grasses and grains and water primarily. They will run screaming from a frog. They need mostly grasses or vegetable leaves like lettuce, chard, beet greens, they like ears of corn, tomatos (not the leaves) and dog food. It's too fattening/protein for them so if you have it, it can be a treat. Regular poultry feed in the morning or evening and then grass/greens the rest of the day will be plenty.

My geese have a pond but I didn't prepare it for them until they were 8 months old. They use it but "prefer" their trusty old three gallon bucket and whatever mud puddle happens to appear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by