Goose or gander?

Will he hurt the girls? I don't have a way to separate them, they get were raised with 3 of the runners so they are inseparable. Also the Embden doesn't have a wife, it's just the 2 boys. Any advice?

I've only seen the ganders go for it in the water. The girls who aren't interested run to the safety of land. This time of year the girls don't seem to mind and the ganders are much more polite than their drake. Past breeding season the ganders don't seem that interested. One thing that really sets the geese (of all genders) off is duck mating. You don't have a drake to inspire your ganders.

The Chinese did trap and drown goslings in the water last year *crying*, so theoretically they could get hurt if they got cornered.

How do their voices sound? Super high pitched and screaming all the time, most likely a male. More of a chatter and mostly quiet? Probably a female

I would bet on a female then, but I'm not familiar with how Embden's carry their paunch. It looks high to me, but that could be normal for females of that breed.
I really hope it is a female. Then JJ will have a mate.

I've only seen the ganders go for it in the water. The girls who aren't interested run to the safety of land. This time of year the girls don't seem to mind and the ganders are much more polite than their drake. Past breeding season the ganders don't seem that interested. One thing that really sets the geese (of all genders) off is duck mating. You don't have a drake to inspire your ganders.

The Chinese did trap and drown goslings in the water last year *crying*, so theoretically they could get hurt if they got cornered.
The ducks all poof up their feathers and lay down submissively when I fill the water tubs, like little floozies 😂.

I have a small backyard flock of 9 ducks, all females, and 2 geese that we got to protect the ducks from hawks, and as guard geese. They are excellent at their jobs. But now it's mating season.
The Chinese, JJ da Boss is definitely a gander but I'm having trouble figuring out the sex of Big Chief, the Embden. They are both 11 months old.
Can anyone help me identify Big Chief? (Yes, we are big Street Outlaws fans. Also have runners named Farm Duck and Azn. Lol)
I have very little experience, so mostly arbitrarily, it looks female to me. But maybe because it looks similar to my one goose. I'm not even sure what breed she is, but I assumed Emden. She makes crazy noises, too, all over the place and sounds different than the others, haha. When she loses track of the flock, she cries loudly like a widow sobbing after losing her husband in the war, lol.

20220903_131942.jpg

I have always read that geese mate for life. Is that so for all breeds or just the Canadian ones? Our wild geese are like that here in Ohio. If one gets killed the other morns it and stays alone.

I have always read that geese mate for life. Is that so for all breeds or just the Canadian ones? Our wild geese are like that here in Ohio. If one gets killed the other morns it and stays alone.
My bonded pair are very BONDED no one else matters to them. One African and my girl is White Chinese

Back
Top Bottom