Goose or Gander?

That is a toulousse. The non-dewlap variety. They are supposed to be a bit gentler than other geese. So many people like them for this trait. You can tell the breed by how its got MORE grey than other breeds.
I thought it was a Toulouse, but all the ones I could find all had dewlaps. Very protective of all the other birds, but very calm with myself, hubs and kiddos.

I thought it was a Toulouse, but all the ones I could find all had dewlaps. Very protective of all the other birds, but very calm with myself, hubs and kiddos.
Yes. That's a good point. There arae dewlap and non-dewlap type Toulouse. Personally I think the non-dewlaps look a bit prettier. And I tried to find information on if the stats like egg #s and other things were different on the 2 types but couldn't find any. (Doesn't mean there aren't differences.) Probably size will be pretty similar for both types.

Toulouse are very good birds they say. But the odd thing is that its hard to find videos on them also. Probably because embdens are considered so pretty with all the white. Shrug.

Truthfully it’s hard to say what breed it actually is, grey is the natural coloring of greylag geese, the ancestors of all Anser. anser derived breeds, think of it as your standard issued dealership color.
You can get grey in a lot of different breeds or by mixing breeds, infact it’s actually the usual coloration of most geese, white geese are actually usually grey underneath their dilute gene that turns them white.
So it could be a Toulouse, a pilgrim, or some other/ a mixed breed.

Often grey geese are referred to production Toulouse, a vague term we give to any random grey colored goose.

Confusingly enough though Production Toulouse also refers to a goose that is an actual Toulouse but that doesn’t adhere to show or breed standards as an exhibition Toulouse or dewlap Toulouse does.

I have heard where the male has a different noise than the female? This one is more of a *kaw kaw kaw* but in more of a honk tone. Haven't found any eggs so that's why I'm curious
The loudest sound a gander makes is usually one long honk “AAHHHH” whereas the loudest sound females make is a cackle or a series of syllables like “AH AH AH AH AH AH” repeated in rapid succession, usually when they’re trying to start a fight or some other drama.

I’ve never heard one of my ganders make the rage cackle or one of the girls make a honk like a gander so that might possibly be a way to determin sex in geese, maybe.

Back
Top Bottom