Goose questions!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by amity3520, Sep 12, 2009.

1. amity3520

amity3520 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Hey everyone! I have slowly yet surely become addicted to this forum... and I didn't even know there was a geese section until yesterday! Goodness. Anyways, I have a female toulouse and an unknown Buff... the female came sexed, but no one was sure on the Buff. Is there an easy way to tell? The Buff is much taller, but I'm not sure if that is a breed thing, the beak is more yellow, and it tends to be more talkative and the one to investigate things first.

Also, when do they typically start laying eggs? We got the pair in May, so we figure that since it's the end of the season we likely won't see any eggs until the Spring, but how long does it normally take?

Also, what are you geese's favorite treats? Ours don't like strange food much, they don't eat lettuce but they will eat the apples that drop from our tree, and blueberries. Are these good for them? Anything else I can entice them with during the winter?

Thanks a bunch!

2. annette'spets

annette'spets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    vero beach, Fl.
    Our geese love watermelon! They have us buying a big one at every fresh market shop in town. Come running across the field for their slice, eat rind and all.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mine are very picky, they eat their feed and grass, and that's about it.

I believe the only sure way to tell the sex is by vent sexing them. Have fun with that [​IMG]

Most breeds start laying eggs in their second year, but I have heard of 1-year-olds laying. I believe that is with the smaller breeds though, like the chinese. So don't count on any until they are 2 years old, that way you won't be dissappointed if they do wait.

4. TedsFarms

TedsFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    My geese eat the fallen apples and plums from the orchard and attack my squash as well. (but they eat more weeds and fallen fruit). When I put them in the sage brush section of the property, they eat sage brush and prickly weeds as well. Add abit of scratch for the day with plenty of water in their baby pool. Enjoy the geese.

My chinese whites were laying in one year.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by