Goose standing around, not grazing or moving--update she's ALIVE

I got some permission to feed/help her today. I will look into finding a way to get something nutritious for her in a smaller bag, but I don't know when I will be able to feed her next because of my work schedules. The only thing I have at home is unsweetened crispy rice which is low in calories, but does have some nutrition. I don't have any romaine lettuce, but I have a feeling that it might make her stomach hurt. I am holding off worming her until she starts eating. Today, she seemed totally uninterested in eating, but might feel better later in the day.

The boss lady there said she was hatched there 10 years ago, but I sincerely don't remember her or any of the graylag geese being there more than five or six years. There used to be all swan geese there before.

I got some permission to feed/help her today. I will look into finding a way to get something nutritious for her in a smaller bag, but I don't know when I will be able to feed her next because of my work schedules. The only thing I have at home is unsweetened crispy rice which is low in calories, but does have some nutrition. I don't have any romaine lettuce, but I have a feeling that it might make her stomach hurt. I am holding off worming her until she starts eating. Today, she seemed totally uninterested in eating, but might feel better later in the day.

The boss lady there said she was hatched there 10 years ago, but I sincerely don't remember her or any of the graylag geese being there more than five or six years. There used to be all swan geese there before.
There is a product called Farmers Helper dd it is more expensive but maybe something that will bring her around quicker. I know TSC carries it in small bags. Sounds like she is hanging in there so maybe with some good extra nutrition she'll come out of this.
fl.gif
http://www.wildbirdsuets.com/foragecakes/kibble.htm

Last edited:
That looks perfect, I think she might like that. We don't have TSC or any other "real" feed store near me. We do have some pet supply places that sell chicken feed, but I doubt they have anything special and I think what they do have they only have in 15lb bags. I will check around with other people in the area and my friend who used to feed the ducks/geese there years ago. Maybe I'll get lucky. I don't want to order through the mail because I don't know if it will get here in time. But, I might have to do that.

The boss lady there is concerned about her safety because she lets people get too close to her, so I don't know if she's going to find a new place for her to go.

Edit: I found a place nearby (sorta) that will sell Mazuri waterfowl food in bulk bins, so I'm off to get a couple of pounds to see if she likes it.

Last edited:
That looks perfect, I think she might like that. We don't have TSC or any other "real" feed store near me. We do have some pet supply places that sell chicken feed, but I doubt they have anything special. I will check around with other people in the area and my friend who used to feed the ducks/geese there years ago. Maybe I'll get lucky. I don't want to order through the mail because I don't know if it will get here in time. But, I might have to do that.

The boss lady there is concerned about her safety because she lets people get too close to her, so I don't know if she's going to find a new place for her to go.
It would be wonderful if they found her a home where she could get special attention , but not at the lake if she is letting people get to close, some people are just not nice. our feed store doesn't carry this product but I know TSC does. maybe you can call around and find it pretty close. Thanks for caring so much.

I got some Mazuri waterfowl and gave her some. She only ate half a cup of it and about the same amount in water. It appeared that she was no longer hungry, but she could have just been bothered by all the ducks trying to steal her food. Hopefully, that little bit helps her a bit if she can also get some other food in her as well.

I got some Mazuri waterfowl and gave her some. She only ate half a cup of it and about the same amount in water. It appeared that she was no longer hungry, but she could have just been bothered by all the ducks trying to steal her food. Hopefully, that little bit helps her a bit if she can also get some other food in her as well.
That's not bad for one feeding their crops aren't that large. Glad you found some Mazuri it's suppose to be good stuff. And like you said the ducks were probably getting on her nerves. Maybe you can find her off by herself and try again.
fl.gif

I fed it to her dry, so I hope that's OK. If I put it in the water, all the other birds will eat it (plus the fish) and I don't know if she will eat it wet. This stuff is expensive, so I don't want all the other animals to eat it. I also gave some to Louie, too. There didn't seem to be any choking and they both went and drank water.

I've heard Mazuri was good, too, except for that time last year or so where there was a recall.

I fed it to her dry, so I hope that's OK. If I put it in the water, all the other birds will eat it (plus the fish) and I don't know if she will eat it wet. This stuff is expensive, so I don't want all the other animals to eat it. I also gave some to Louie, too. There didn't seem to be any choking and they both went and drank water.

I've heard Mazuri was good, too, except for that time last year or so where there was a recall.
As long as they have access to water it's fine to feed dry.

Yesterday, when I went to feed her, she wouldn't eat anything, though she really looked like she wanted to. I figured I would try again today and if she doesn't eat this morning, I would come back and try again in the afternoon. But, this morning I found her collapsed on the ground near the water, dead. I don't even think she went to bed (her night-time roost) last night.

She's now with her Jack who disappeared a couple of years ago.

Yesterday, when I went to feed her, she wouldn't eat anything, though she really looked like she wanted to. I figured I would try again today and if she doesn't eat this morning, I would come back and try again in the afternoon. But, this morning I found her collapsed on the ground near the water, dead. I don't even think she went to bed (her night-time roost) last night.

She's now with her Jack who disappeared a couple of years ago.

I'm so sorry to hear this dd, bless her heart. and what a precious picture of the 2 of them.

Back
Top Bottom