Gosling Injury

AmieMC

Hatching
May 16, 2021
I have been raising ducks for 3 years now and decided to try my hand at geese. The lady I bought them from said that I didn't need to do anything differently. I've had 2 gosling for a week now and everything has been fine until this morning. I woke up to move the goslings from their night pen which is kept in our garage to their day pen which is on our patio and one of goslings looked completely dead. Laying down on side, head flipped backward, and eyes closed. I picked it up and immediately began to examine it to see the cause of death when I noticed the faintest heart beat. I opened its beak to see if the airways ways were blocked and put it up against my body to warm it up. I started to massage its crop and feel it's neck for any breaks. After a long 2 minutes I noticed it turn its head to me and open its eyes! It then began to spit up. After about 5 minutes it started kicking its feet and flapping its wings so I set it down and it followed me outside. Its been acting completely normal all day but now I'm paranoid! What in the world could have happened?! The other gosling was totally fine.

Their broader is an extra large dog crate with pine wood shavings. They have constant access to fresh water and food via poultry dishes from tractor supply store. Heat lamp is set to 80 degrees at night. Everything is cleaned daily. Food is Purina chick starter grower.

I would try to get Purina flock raiser which is formulated for waterfowl. It may have flipped over and couldn't right itself. That can sometimes happen. Hopefully it was just a weird thing. How is it now?

Back
Top Bottom