Gosling Losing Voice? (Is She Sick?)

The Dim Side

Songster
Mar 16, 2021
Hi, all,

My 5-week-old gosling was fine in the first half of the day, but this afternoon she started sounding like her chirping was slightly...off. I'm not sure how to describe it, like a little weaker than normal, slightly deeper, and more airy, I guess? And just sounds more sad. She still seems to be eating and drinking and active enough.

Though I'm not sure if she may be getting tired more easily (she naps a lot since she's young). But it just seems like she's quieter than she usually is and lying down more.

I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid, but I wanted to double-check with more experienced people.

And I can hear her breathing. It seems like she has mucus inside, so it sounds kind of like a clicking sound with the mucus opening and closing or something (like when you try to clear your nose?). She gets this occasionally, but this seems to be lasting longer than usual. She sneezes occasionally, too.

Is there a way to tell if she's sick? And if she is, is there anything that we can do for her outside of a veterinarian? I don't think there are any goose vets in my area, the closest are potentially a couple hours away.

Edit to add: I'm not sure if she might be drinking more water than usual, too.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
Do you have water deep enough for your gosling to dip her whole head into? She needs to be able to clean out her nares (nostrils) every day.

I can't tell if her butt is bobbing more as she breathes, too. It's not bobbing high but is a little bit while on my lap.

It really sounds like she has a respiratory illness, it could be a bacterial infection or Asper worst case scenario. Unfortunately goslings are much more prone to illnesses and they react to them much worse thsn adults so this should be taken seriously.
You can try giving her VetRX, it can help clear out their respiratory tract, but if may not get rid of the underlying problem.

It really sounds like she has a respiratory illness, it could be a bacterial infection or Asper worst case scenario. Unfortunately goslings are much more prone to illnesses and they react to them much worse thsn adults so this should be taken seriously.
You can try giving her VetRX, it can help clear out their respiratory tract, but if may not get rid of the underlying problem.
Thanks! A breeder told me this morning about VetRx! So we're gonna get that. She seems to be sounding better and definitely has a lot of energy today. The voice sounds a little different here and there, but I was surprised that it's fluctuating back and forth. The breeder suggested maybe its voice is just changing while starting puberty. I thought it's a little young since she's only 5 weeks old, but the breeder said it happens sometimes. Is that something you've come across before?

Thanks! A breeder told me this morning about VetRx! So we're gonna get that. She seems to be sounding better and definitely has a lot of energy today. The voice sounds a little different here and there, but I was surprised that it's fluctuating back and forth. The breeder suggested maybe its voice is just changing while starting puberty. I thought it's a little young since she's only 5 weeks old, but the breeder said it happens sometimes. Is that something you've come across before?
Voices do change as they age, could you possibly post a video? The best way is linking to Instagram, Vimeo, or YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom