ElGoose

Songster
May 27, 2023
So our 2 week old goslings have a small issue and I’m not sure what it is!
one of our goslings is always trying to cuddle up to the other for warmth, and the other is always stretching it’s legs out and panting like she’s way too hot! Do they need different temperatures or does the other have a respiratory issue?
She’s very healthy and eating pooping drinking running around, but I’m worried about the panting, but it’s usually accompanied with her legs stretching out whilst she’s too warm? She’s not always panting either it’s usually at specific points that would indicate she’s too warm (other gosling sat on her, or cuddling up to me when my hands are too warm).
They have a heat lamp and occasionally we put in a hot water bottle under a patch of hay/straw as a place of warmth.

I can’t rule out that there isn’t a respiratory problem but Goslings undergo some extreme metabolic changes while growing and heat fluctuations are common. One moment they’re hot, the next they’re cold.

If all else is normal I wouldn’t worry too much, keeping up with adjusting temperature is just something that has to be done.

Hay and straw is a common source of mold spores and mites so I woukd suggest switching to pine shavings if it’s possible.

I can’t rule out that there isn’t a respiratory problem but Goslings undergo some extreme metabolic changes while growing and heat fluctuations are common. One moment they’re hot, the next they’re cold.

If all else is normal I wouldn’t worry too much, keeping up with adjusting temperature is just something that has to be done.

Hay and straw is a common source of mold spores and mites so I woukd suggest switching to pine shavings if it’s possible.
Ok thank you! I’ll look into it

Back
Top Bottom