Goslings cause chaos on my start up

Dec 6, 2019
Philippines
Hello,

I am a noob and I have 7 geese, 6 females and one male. Since I am a start up who purchased this land, I am too poor to afford an incubator.I am currently in crisis and I don't know what to do.

All of my females got broody at the same time but one of them hatches her eggs first and the moment she and her goslings starts walking around all of the other females abandon their eggs and thinks the goslings are their babies. Though its cute seeing everyone coparenting those 3 goslings. I have 20 eggs that will die of cold if their mothers don't go back sitting from their eggs. I candled the eggs they are still fertile with movements. I am in a panic because the moms don't want to sit anymore after seeing 3 goslings that is not theirs.

Its been an hour. Another problem, When the male starts making his calling noise, he distracts girls who are being broody again, stops sitting and follows him grazing instead of sitting on their eggs. Then once they see the goslings again, they will think its theirs.

How to keep geese broody?

Last edited:
I was giving the mamas a chance to go back to their eggs but if they don't go back for another hour, I will give their eggs to my old female ducks who are broody.

not really experienced but cant you wrap the eggs up in some kind of thick blanket and bring them inside, put them in a small room that will retain heat ?

Otherwise, create your own makeshift incubator with a bucket? Make sure it has a lid, that you can drill a hole into and hang a bulb inside - you'll want to turn the eggs ocassionaly to make sure they get even heating.

Yep once goslings appear everyone has to take part in protecting and raising. Best to section mom and dad and the gosling into their own area so the other females get back to brooding. Ducks do real good at hatching goslings too though. My female goose loves all babies but she absolutely loves goslings and ducklings. Please post pics of the new family.

How old are your geese? If it's their first year laying, there's a very good chance they'll do way better next year when they're more mature.
Its their first year. I candled the abandoned eggs and many of them died because of the irresponsible moms who thinks some else's gosling is theirs. The remaining living eggs are given to ducks and I hope ducks are better mothers.

I think your best bet next year, or for future eggs, would be to keep the mom and dad with goslings separated from the other broodies. Not being able to get to the goslings to coparent should encourage them to continue to sit. Glad your ducks are a reliable back up plan!
Hopefully next year will turn out better numbers for you!

Back
Top Bottom