Goslings dying quickly

greenthebean

Chirping
Jun 26, 2020
Hi all. We had a flock of 6 goslings about 2.5 months old. The past 2 days they have been rapidly dying. Yesterday morning one was found dead in the coops and no signs of injury. The rest were separated from the other waterfowl. This morning, the remaining goslings are all dying; lethargic, weak, unable to eat, and bleeding from their bottoms. This is devastating as these are the first geese I've bonded with. I don't know what to do or how to help them. They've been given electrolytes and lots of greens but it seems only one will make it. All the other waterfowl are fine and are showing no signs of illness (ducks). We're guessing the goslings ate something toxic? Since they are still young? I've been googling but can't find anything similar. Any help is appreciated.

I’m so sorry for your loss, this is devastating.

The blood could be from a bad case of coccidia, if you can get corid start putting it in their water immediately.
While they’re on corid they can’t have b vitamins because it counteracts the effects of corid. They might also have a parasitic infestation or they mupight have duck viral enteritis, unfortunately it causes hemorrhaging. 😞

The bleeding from their vents sounds like cocci. Were they on medicated feed/vaccinated? (no idea if you can vaccinate goslings)

I know this thread is old but I wanted to provide an update incase anyone else is here in an unfortunately similar situation. After doing some research I'm agreeing with others saying it's coccidiosis. I've never had such a horrible case of cocci in my life and to have them all die quickly was shocking. My ducks to this day are still fine. I'm not sure if the goslings had it when my partner purchased them, but I suspect so as my partner later purchased a set of young geese from the same person, and one rapidly died from the same thing (the next day after getting home). I quickly treated the remaining geese with corid and they are all still alive. But it's possible they developed it from us as well. It's unfortunate as I bonded quite well with the goslings and they were so young. But now I know what it was and to keep up with the corid treatment with all of my flocks.

Back
Top Bottom