Goslings here, goslings there, oh my, what now?!

larkflying

Songster
8 Years
My daughter came into the house after school today, yelling Goslings Goslings, they finally had Goslings! She (and I, I'll admit it ) are so excited -- after 2 nests that failed,we figured none of the geese would have goslings this year.

Buttercup the goose has 6 completely hatched goslings (most of them completely dry) and 4 more eggs with significant holes and little beaks peeking out . . . there's one egg in her nest without a hole or crack so far. It is 5:30 p.m. It was a beautiful bright sunny day, but it is supposed to be 34 tonight, clear tomorrow with a high of 62, and then the next night the low is 40 . . .

I have a couple questions for all you experienced momma geese people . . .

Should I move her into the barn with the goslings tonight? Pros / Cons? I have a heat lamp and straw set up already in there . . . but some of the eggs have only the beak showing. I'm not sure the momma goose will remember to keep them all warm, since she's a first time mom. But I don't want to stop the last few eggs from hatching by moving them. I'd prefer if she raised the goslings, at least the ones that I'm keeping, but I could just take the goslings away from her so she can concentrate on keeping the hatching eggs warm, and then give her the whole lot in a couple days, once they are eating and drinking? What do you do / think / recommend?

There is a second goose who has one egg with a crack and a beak sticking out. I wasn't able to examine the rest, but she definately didn't have any babies hatched yet. Should I leave her outside overnight, and then check in the morning?

I'd appreciate responses, if you have time -- otherwise, I'll just go with my best instinct . . .

Oh, thanks, although the geese did all the work. They are in the barn for a night or two, till I see them eat and drink and make sure the mom's seem to have a clue about what to do with all those little things.

Love watching them though!
Congrats to you!! what did you decide to do?

Last edited:
I put them in the barn . . . probably should have left one outside with a few of the strongest babies, and then put the other one in the barn, as they are having minor sharing issues (no, that's my gosling -- give it back! I want them all!). But, I think there are about 15 goslings that made it, which is more than I expected . . . .and I have another goose on a nest who may hatch more in about a week. Now I will know what to do with her!

The remaining geese outside are very suspicious about where their mates and goslings have gone -- especially the two female geese that didn't hatch out any babies. They want to share! If the weather continues warm and dry, I may put the babies outside with their mom's in a few days, after they are too big to fit through the holes in my fence . . .

I put them in the barn . . . probably should have left one outside with a few of the strongest babies, and then put the other one in the barn, as they are having minor sharing issues (no, that's my gosling -- give it back! I want them all!). But, I think there are about 15 goslings that made it, which is more than I expected . . . .and I have another goose on a nest who may hatch more in about a week. Now I will know what to do with her!

The remaining geese outside are very suspicious about where their mates and goslings have gone -- especially the two female geese that didn't hatch out any babies. They want to share! If the weather continues warm and dry, I may put the babies outside with their mom's in a few days, after they are too big to fit through the holes in my fence . . .
Glad everyone is okay, I am wanting a goose so badly for my Embden gander, can't find a one in my neck of the woods.
sad.png
He has his muscovy girls but I'd like to get him one of his own while he is still young. He will be 5 on the 22nd of May.

OH, that is too bad that you can't find a goose for him . . . if you were closer, I'd have one : ) I don't want to try to ship the goslings . . . I'd worry that something would go wrong since/because I don't know what I am doing . . .
I would be worried about shipping too, because I don't know what I'm doing either. I may have to have a couple females shipped by someone who does know what they are doing if I ever get him any though. Be sure to post more pics when you can love pics of mamas and goslings.

Shipping is not hard to do, there are hundreds on here and around the country who you can ask for help if you ever shipped. The first thing to do so you can ship is contact your states NPIP program and become tested and get your certificate. Once NPIP, you get the special shipping boxes (buyers pay for these). There is more depending on age of bird, but that's the beginning basics.

That is great information . . . maybe in the fall I'll start the process and be ready for next year -- didn't know that you could buy special boxes somewhere. I would enjoy that and I can see it would make a great excuse to hatch out more babies . . . especially if my Welsh Harlequin Ducks start raising batches.

Back
Top Bottom