Goslings of 2014 Hatch-a-long

This evening went into turn eggs on the 5 due this week. My Great Dane followed me in to check with me. I opened the incubator and was turning the 3 due on the 12th and my Dane put her nose in there and I said get out of there and the egg was moving. I had thought she did it until both eggs started moving. Guess she was telling me look mom movement! Well candled them and both had internally piped. Went back in later have one external crack.... Now to keep my hands out!!!!
barnie.gif
waiting is the hard part
hugs.gif

Good luck Ruru. Learnt the hard way this morning not to mess with nature. Our broody goose has been sat for 30 days and it looks that the last of the eggs are duff. We had one externally piping in the incubator yesterday so I thought it would be good to let the mum goose hatch her out. I presentedvthe egg to her yesterday and she happily tucked her in with her others. This morning I checked and the chick was dead with half of the egg mashed around her. Now I feel crap and wished I had left her to hatch in the incubator with her siblings.

The goose hatched little ones last year so I was confident it would be ok, hard lesson learnt today.
hard to say why there is always so much we dont know
hugs.gif

I'm not sure if I should post this question in this thread, but there are more people viewing so I'm hoping for a quick response. A few days ago my hubby brought me 2 female African goslings. 1 of them has bare skin showing on its head and neck, the skin is not damaged just completely bald. I called the store my hubby brought them from and they said 1 of the gozzies had a bit of egg membrane still on her head, that they pulled it off, and it shouldn't cause problems. Well it is and they have no advice on how to handle the situation. She has to be being pecked by her hatch mate, will bathing her put a stop to this? She is otherwise healthy and growing well in the brooder. I want to take them out and let them swim in an old pizza pan, will the bare spots get her chilled faster? Will just water wash the taste of egg off her?

You could instead of taking them outside put some warm not too warm jus enough that it is not cold water in the bath tub and let them swim and play in the tub and clean their self. They will have fun and also get clean. I the take them out and towel dry a bit and then take a blow dryer and fluff them with warm low speed.

Good luck Ruru. Learnt the hard way this morning not to mess with nature. Our broody goose has been sat for 30 days and it looks that the last of the eggs are duff. We had one externally piping in the incubator yesterday so I thought it would be good to let the mum goose hatch her out. I presentedvthe egg to her yesterday and she happily tucked her in with her others. This morning I checked and the chick was dead with half of the egg mashed around her. Now I feel crap and wished I had left her to hatch in the incubator with her siblings.

The goose hatched little ones last year so I was confident it would be ok, hard lesson learnt today.
Thank you Paul. Sometimes the geese sit so tight that it can smother the gosling. I have had that happen before and it just makes you sick that the gosling made it out and then gets smothered after all of that.

[COLOR=0000FF]You could instead of taking them outside put some warm not too warm jus enough that it is not cold water in the bath tub and let them swim and play in the tub and clean their self. They will have fun and also get clean. I the take them out and towel dry a bit and then take a blow dryer and fluff them with warm low speed.[/COLOR]

Thanks! I will do that as it is a bit windy out today. Will fluff grow back in or will she have those spots till she feathers out?

Thanks! I will do that as it is a bit windy out today. Will fluff grow back in or will she have those spots till she feathers out?
ON the spot fuzz might come back. I believe that the membrane was left on the gosling and the people at the place you got them from pulled it off without wetting it to help it come off without ripping the down out. So they ripped the down right off with the membrane.

I'm not sure if I should post this question in this thread, but there are more people viewing so I'm hoping for a quick response. A few days ago my hubby brought me 2 female African goslings. 1 of them has bare skin showing on its head and neck, the skin is not damaged just completely bald. I called the store my hubby brought them from and they said 1 of the gozzies had a bit of egg membrane still on her head, that they pulled it off, and it shouldn't cause problems. Well it is and they have no advice on how to handle the situation. She has to be being pecked by her hatch mate, will bathing her put a stop to this? She is otherwise healthy and growing well in the brooder. I want to take them out and let them swim in an old pizza pan, will the bare spots get her chilled faster? Will just water wash the taste of egg off her?
Was she already like this when she arrived at your house? Has it got worse? I ask, because some goslings are terrors at 'grazing' other goslings. Maybe it´s because the people pulled it off, or maybe it´s just the other gozzies doing this. It´s not likely to be due to the taste of any egg. if the other one is grazing her, then really the best thing to do for now is give them plenty of things to keep them occupied, like constant grass to graze, or a cabbage/broccolli tied up for them to tug at, etc. Goslings´instincts are to graze. Graze, sleep, pull something apart...graze, sleep, pull something apart...

Back
Top Bottom